Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Athens to Lubljana or somewhere else? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/athens-to-lubljana-or-somewhere-else-899606/)

RebeccaM Jul 20th, 2011 02:04 PM

Athens to Lubljana or somewhere else?

Friends of mine in their eighties will be going to Greece at the end of August for a wedding, but they are worried about staying there afterwards because of all the unrest. They already have their flights from NYC and back. Do you have ideas about where they can go for a few days (maybe up to 4 or 5) that would be relaxing? I have read that international trains are not running in Greece now. What about flying from Athens to Lubljana for a few days? or taking a ferry to Bari? But I don't know what Bari is like. Any other thoughts? Thanks for any help. They have asked me to research this for them.

ParisAmsterdam Jul 20th, 2011 03:28 PM

Why not stay much closer and have them go to Nafplion for a few days? I don't think Athens will necessarily be dangerous but it might give them more peace of mind to be in a smaller quieter place.

Aside from the town itself there are interesting sites close by such as Epidaurus, Tiryns and Mycenae. Plus it's a lot closer and easier to get to than Lubljana or Bari.

thursdaysd Jul 20th, 2011 04:53 PM

Or take a ferry to one of the islands. Hydra is small and quiet, or Crete has more going on and is reachable by plane or overnight ferry.Then there's.... more islands than anyone could want.

kja Jul 20th, 2011 07:32 PM

Without commenting on whether they should or should not stay in or near Greece, I'll offer a few comments about Ljubljana and Bari.

I thought Ljubljana absolutely charming. The architecture contributes to an upbeat, lighthearted aura. IMO, 4 or 5 days would be perfect for a short visit to Slovenia - a day or two in Ljubljana and another day or two in Lake Bled (gorgeous scenery) and maybe a stop or two in or around these 2 places en route (e.g., the Skocjan caves and/or Lake Bohinj). Ljubljana's airport is 1/2 way to Lake Bled, so both work well for departures.

I didn't visit Bari, but spent about 4 days in Puglia in and around Bari, and I greatly enjoyed my time there. My stops in/around the area included Matera, Trani, Alberobello, Lecce, and Polignano a Mare. I was there in May, and found the temperatures in Lecce nearly unbearable. I was told that the weather was not unusual for the season. If so, I can't imagine being there in August, but I don't deal as well with high temperatures as many people do.

Hope that helps!

clausar Jul 20th, 2011 09:09 PM

As already mentioned many times in this forum, there are no problems at all in Athens, if you avoid a certain area, which is Syntagma square.... In every other part of Athens you won't even notice that there are demonstrations in the centre..let alone in other cities or islands, that are really far away from Athens.

There are many possibilities to get to an island from Athens, starting from islands nearby such as Kea or Andros, Hydra Spetses, or Paros, Naxos etc.
Since they will be in Greece it makes more sence to me to stay there and enjoy the beauty of the country, instead of travelling through Europe.

RebeccaM Jul 21st, 2011 12:33 PM

Thank you all. Your comments are very helpful. They came up with the idea of going to Skopje, but they'll have to fly since trains aren't running there according to the Eurail website. I will pass on the suggestions to stay in Greece.

clausar Jul 21st, 2011 05:04 PM

Rebecca
There are no trains from Greece to the neighbouring countries, Helennic Railways stopped these itineraries one year ago due to the economical crisis.
Please note that Skopje is a city not worthseing... there's nothing to do there !! There are no tourists going to Skopje and that for a reason. ( Tirana-Albania is a similar case)

thursdaysd Jul 21st, 2011 05:30 PM

"There are no tourists going to Skopje and that for a reason. (Tirana-Albania is a similar case)"

That's rather sweeping. I plan to visit both places in October, and I suspect I'll find something to do, even they only turn out to be rest stops on the way to places like Lake Ohrid, or Berat, or the Albanian coast (see http://frugaltraveler.blogs.nytimes....ni/?ref=travel )

not_enuf_vaca Jul 21st, 2011 05:32 PM

Liked Ljubljana - two days is enough. Lake Bled is also nice - go to the Vintgar Gorge while in Bled! Also, try to go to one or two of the big caves - really cool! Even the "touristy" one was fun and fascinating.

clausar Jul 21st, 2011 08:57 PM

thursdaysd
it would be very interesting to read your trip report after you come back, i have been several times to both cities combining business with leisure.
I stand to my opinion, and i am sure i am not the only one having this impression from these cities.

thursdaysd Jul 22nd, 2011 06:05 AM

clauses - there will be a TR here. I'll also be blogging the trip in real time at mytimetotravel.wordpress.com

thursdaysd Jul 22nd, 2011 06:08 AM

clausar - sorry - I typed that on my new iPad and obviously I need to turn auto-correct OFF!

RebeccaM Jul 30th, 2011 06:29 AM

P.S. To let you know what they decided... they have settled on staying in greece, taking a few day trips and then a few days by car around Crete. I am glad and am sure they will enjoy it and be fine. Thanks again. (My next trip may be to Lubljana.)