Reload this Page >

Athens to Istanbul-best way to go

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 02:46 PM
callie

Does anyone have experience in traveling from Athens to Istanbul? Our trip is early November. We will consider time element, safety, reliability, and cost, with cost the most negotiable. What is best: train/bus/ferry/air? And, why? Also, if you have a horror story, please advise. Thanks!

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 09:23 PM
Mike

Avoid the train!!! Long and uncomfy. You could take the night boat to Samos or Rhodes and then take a short boat to Turkey. From any of these points, you then can take a bus to Istanbul. I would stop at some neat places along the way. You could fly also.

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 09:24 PM
Mike

Avoid the train!!! Long and uncomfy. You could take the night boat to Samos or Rhodes and then take a short boat to Turkey. From any of these points, you then can take a bus to Istanbul. I would stop at some neat places along the way. You could fly also.

Old Apr 17th, 1999, 10:15 PM
Martha B

The bus ride from Marmaris, Turkey, where the Rhodes ferry docks, to Istanbul is a looong trip. At least one day, maybe two. The Turkish buses are good, but if your object is Istanbul, I think flying is your best bet.

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 04:06 AM
Paulo

Flying for sure is your best option and, in case you're flying home from Istanbul, it might be cheaper to include it all in one ticket. <BR> Last year in the summer we had 15 days to go from Athens to Istanbul (ferry to Santorini, flight to Rhodes, hydrofoil to Marmaris, car rental to Istanbul with stops in Pamukkale, Kusadasi, Bergama, Canakkale and Bursa). <BR> Paulo <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 1999, 05:31 AM
Joanne

I also vote for air. We flew Turkish Air from Athens to Istanbul, after checking into other options, which were always very lengthy. The airline was fine.