Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens, Santorini, and which other island(s)?

Old Sep 10th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Greece in 2009 June with our college age kids and their friends. (This past June we had the best trip to Croatia and we can thank it to the Fodorites and the TA forums.)
My daughter’s dream is Santorini but we would like to add one or two more islands. We will have between 10 to 14 days altogether. Probably we’d spend 2 or 3 nights in Athens.
Our goal is to find places where they can party but we can escape the crowd.(Naturally we'd like to see sights as well. My son is taking an ancient greek history course.) In Croatia we really enjoyed renting a speed boat in Hvar and just look for secluded bays and coves during the day and at night we were able to have a nice dinner together before they went off to the bars and clubs.
I really like the idea if Rhodos and especially Lindos based on a TA recommendation but I’m having difficulty finding a large enough villa and the transportation between the two islands is difficult.
Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM

I'd recommend going to Crete. You'll find plenty of ancient history there, as well as beautiful beaches, and lively harbor towns like Chania. The hydrofoil from Santorini takes you to Iraklion, Crete in about 2.5 hours. From there, you'd have to hop on a bus or get a rental car for the nearly 2 hour ride to Chania. But what a lovely place to spend a few days!

As for Rhodes, I can't imagine why a travel agent would recommend taking kids to Lindos. They'd be bored to death. We stayed at the other end of the island, very close to the gates of the Old Town. It was a perfect location for sightseeing, and our kids ( older teens) were able to wander by themselves day and night.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 06:25 PM

If you do decide to visit Crete, it might be best to go there first. Then take a bus or car to the port at Heraklion, where you'd get the hydrofoil to Santorini. From Santorini, you could either fly or ferry back to Athens.
Old Sep 10th, 2008, 07:25 PM

Lindos is boring. It is OK for a day trip, but I certainly wouldn't want to be stuck there for three days (unless, of course, you just want to sit on the beach ALL DAY).

I would definitely stay in Rhodes Town for more sightseeing options.

If you do stay on Rhodes, you must stay at Rodos Park Hotel.

Thin
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the input.I will look into Crete more. Which areas do you suggest to look for a villa that has good nightlife close by on Crete?
What do you think of Naxos and Paros islands?
The kids are interested in nice bars and clubs with a good athmosphere and ambience. The parents are looking for a picturesque area with good tavernas and restaurants.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:17 PM

I don't know anything about Naxos and Paros, but I'd like to! Look for posts written by TravelerJan ( is that the right name?) who has written a lot about Naxos, and I think Paros, too.

About Crete: You'll find an abundance of nightlife and clubs in and around Chania. There are tons of younger tourists your kids' ages visiting in the summer months, so they'll probably meet tons of people. The beaches in Chania proper aren't so great, but Elofonossi (sp??), one of the most magnificent beaches of all, is, as I remember, about two hours away.

Finally, do you really need a villa? There are excellent small hotels in Chania, some of which are right in town.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 03:21 PM

A final note: I can't think of many places more picturesque than Chania. And you'll find plenty of tavernas and shops to choose from, some of which incorporate walls left standing after the bombs of WW 11. It's an amazing city to explore- full of history and winding streets in a beautiful harbor setting. June is a very busy month, though, so if you're interested, I'd suggest making plans ASAP.
Old Sep 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM

Hi,

If you go to Rhodes take a day trip to Symi. It is a charming island.
www.symivisitor.com

If you go to Crete here is a web site for a great villa we rented near Chania.
http://www.crete-escapes.com/villa-allium.htm

Have a great trip.

Yipper
Old Sep 13th, 2008, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank to all of you! It is so difficult to decide since Greece has so much to offer and our time and budget is limited.The fact that we have to combine different interests in our group makes the selection even harder.
Chania sounds really interesting.
Weadles, I'm looking for a villa because of the number of people in our group. (There will be 5 to 8 of us.)I found that the available villas are far from the restaurants and nightlife but I'm convinced that with all the help on this forum I'm going to find the perfect place.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 02:50 PM

If we don't go to Chania, are there other areas in Crete to stay at that we can do day trips with an abundance of history that are closer than having to do a two hour drive. How many days would you spend in Crete?