Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens neighborhoods to stay in and day trips?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning to rent an apartment in Athens in January and have a choice of staying near the metro stop of Panepistimio, Acropolis or Syngrou/Fix. Please advise which area is best for a first time tourist to Athens in terms of safety, proximity to major tourist sites, restaurants, and ease of exploring the city. DH has trouble with knees, so hills can be an issue.
Also, we plan to take day trips to Corinth, Temple of Poseidon and the port of Pireaus - preferably by public transportation. All advice and best way to get to theses area most welcome. Thanks.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM

Acropolis would be preferable to Syngrou/Fix and Panepistimio as it's closer to the center of things. I prefer to stay fairly close to Syntagma as pretty well everything is walkable from there.

Here's a link to an Athens metro map:

http://www.athensguide.com/metromap.html

If you use http://maps.google.com you'll find the metro stations marked with a white 'M' in a blue square. This might help you get a feel for things.

As far as knees are concerned, I find that Athens has about the most uneven pavements of any city I've ever been to.
Some sidewalks can be of slippery granite or marble too. So have DH watch his step.

As for your trips... Piraeus is served by the metro and there is a coastal tram and bus to Cape Sounion... but I believe you have to leave the temple before sunset to grab the last bus back. It might be worth the extra to take a special tour.

Corinth is a short train ride away. Again, it might be worth taking a day tour by bus and you'd also be able to visit Mycenae and Epidaurus and or other places as well. A car would be ideal and it's not as hard to drive in Greece as most people would have you believe!

Finally, check the Greece forum at tripadvisor.com A large number of Athenians are regulars there and have a wealth of friendly advice and knowledge.

Rob
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 08:36 AM

We always joke that everything is up hill in Greece. I would take the little train that runs through the Plaka for an overview. 5 euros. I would also do the hop on hop off bus if you have walking problems. Much easier. I would also take a CHAT tour to Corinth and Delphi. Easy and less stressful than buses. The buses are good though in Greece. Not sure why you want to go to Piraeus. Bus 40 is fun just to ride and see Athens ,the neighborhoods etc. You can also ride it to Piraeus.
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your suggestions.

I thought Piraeus might be interesting to wander around. Is this a bad idea?

Or perhaps we could take a day trip to Hydra?

SWR
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 07:15 PM

Yes, that is a bad idea. Piraeus is NOT interesting or relaxing to wander in ... the main road bordering the waterfront is HORRENDOUS traffic, crowds, nothing to view it's a busy busy port, not a "quaint town." Go to Piraeus to catch a ferry, period. BTW, DO be careful on the Metro to Piraeus. Lately a pickpocket bunch has targeted this line. Just don't keep ANYTHING in your pockets, and keep your hand on your daybag zip & you'll be fine.

I don't know about a ferry to Hydra ... people rave about it, but once you've looked at the harbor, and taken your picture with a donkey and bought a bag of pistachios... what then? Think about Aegina -- it's way closer (45 minute ride) ... and you can get a taxi to the MOST beautiful Temple ever, on a Hillside, Temple of Aphaia. Breathtaking 360° view of the whole Saronic bay, on a good day. THen have a nice fish dinner & come back to Piraeus.

I agree with taking the KEY or CHAT day tour via bus. THey pick up at your hotel take you to the Corinth Canal, then to Mycenae, then to Nafplio for lunch, then to Epidaurus (amazing theatre!!) and back to Athens. One day & you see a lot without having to drive.

If you want to do a day trip to Ancient Corinth, you can take a Suburban train from Larissa Station (see any good athens Map) and get to Corinth in 90 minutes, smooth ride. You can get a taxi to the ancient site & back.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 12:55 AM

I took an all-day ferry trip from Piraeus to Aegina, Hydra, and Poros, with enough time for a bit of exploration in each place, and I see it's still available. I don't know how pleasant it would be in Winter though as there's quite alot of time on the water.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 05:22 AM

Hi
I´ve been to Loutraki opposite Corinth on the other side of the bay, nice good drinking water nice hotel for abt 55€. Easy to get a Bus from Corinth I understood. Nafplio is really nice if You like Italian style buildings in top condition also beautiful view from the top of Nafplio. You can reach Tolo by bus close to Nafplio former fishing village also nice during summer season in winter guess many shops&hotels are closed there.

So do not miss Loutraki, Chorinth Channel,Nafplio and if You have time Tolo. All worth a visit.