Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens- Naxos-Santorini-Crete-Athens ferries &planes?

Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all the wonderful suggestions I've already read. Perhaps you might be able to help me with some transportation/itineray issues. We'll arrive in Athens Sept. 10 and will leave the next day for Naxos via ferry(staying 2+ days), Sept. 14 ferry to Santorini,(2+ days) Sept. 17 ferry to Crete(2 days) and return to Athens on the 20th by plane giving us 3+ days in Athens.
Might it be better to fly rather than ferry for some of the trips(cost is an issue) and do you see any flaws in the time allotment for each destination. In my research on ferry schedules it appears that the earliest one can take a ferry from Santorini to Crete is 17:45 or 18:10. Hoping someone will tell me that's incorrect!
Thanks for any help you can give. Planning this is a bit daunting-haven't even started with the hotel part-arrg
Aug 3rd, 2009, 06:30 PM

Hi

Is it possible to get a connecting flight to one of the islands rather than stay overnight in Athens for the first day? Check Aegean or Olympic for connecting flights to Naxos or Crete or Santorini then work your way around the islands by ferry which I would have thought is more likely to be cheaper. Check ferry details at www.gtp.gr.

Re hotels. Use the search facility to find hotels. Then if you like post a question. Don't forget to state your budget (in euro).
Aug 3rd, 2009, 10:02 PM

Ferry service between Santorini and Crete is limited to the afternoon departures.

Sky Express also offers a direct 30-minute flight but it leaves Santorini at 9pm.

http://www.skyexpress.gr
Aug 3rd, 2009, 11:55 PM

There now seems to be an Olympic flight to Naxos leaving at 0950 and arriving at 1035, so that would save you a bit of time. The Blue Star ferry departs Piraeus at 0735 and arrives on Naxos at 1255. It takes longer, but saves the hassle of returning to the airport, queueing at check-in, etc. Piraeus is easily reached from central Athens, and you need to be at the ferry port only about 30 min prior to departure, then just handing your ticket over as you board.

Ferries from Santorini to Crete are based in Crete, depart there in the morning, and return to Heraklion in the afternoon. That's why there are no morning ferries.

Note that island transfers eat up most of a day, with hotel check-in/out, transfer to/from port, ferry travel time, etc. Your plan for two days per island means you will have only 1+ days to sightsee or relax on each. Were it me, I would scratch Crete and add the extra time to Naxos and Santorini.
Aug 4th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the transportation information. Worldinabag, the days I stated were whole days with no travel involved. I didn't make that very clear. My daughter and I want to pay homage to the history but are really hoping to know the faith, food, natural beauty, and people of Greece. With that in mind do you think we should decrease our
Athens stay by a day and add one to an island? We love nothing better than to explore the markets, talk to the people and drink in the beauty of the land and sea. Speaking of the sea, any suggestions for a laidback kayak trip or should I repost? Thanks again!
Aug 4th, 2009, 01:34 PM

I don't think you should decrease your Athens stay, but I agree with the suggestion of scrapping Crete. It is a big island & not really worth the extra travelling back & forth for so little time, you won't do it any justice at all. I too would add those days to the other islands, especially Naxos as it is larger with a lot to see.
Aug 8th, 2009, 06:36 AM

I see from your schedule you are actually going to have 2 and a half days for each island as you have allotted one full day for the ferry. That is good, very few people realize just how much time the ferry takes.
Your plan is doable however I would tend to agree with Yiassas. Greece is about relaxation and exploration. In 10 days I would not do more than two Islands.
Crete is huge and deserves 10 days all to itself.

Naxos is fairly large and has lots to do including the old town with its market and Kastro areas. It has a smattering of antiquities and great beaches along with mountain villages where you can see how Greece must have been years ago. I think after two and a half days you may be disapointed that you have to leave Naxos so soon.
Santorini is all about the views. For some people 2 days is sufficient for others a week is not enough.

Here are some Naxos pictures to show you what to expect.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570796960FtMsPF
Aug 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

I've taken your advise! We'll save Crete for another time and divide the time between Naxos and Santorini ending with 3 1/2 days in Athens. I appreciate your help. I'm going to post questions about hotels in Naxos so please stay with me!
Aug 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM

I do not think you will regret your decision for one second. So much to see and do on Naxos and Santorini.