Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens itinerary for arrival on Saturday, October 3rd

Aug 20th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Original Poster

We arrive in Athens around noon Saturday October 3rd and leave for home on Thursday Oct. 8th. I am trying to figure out the best days to do the Acropolis and other sites included in the ticket. I wonder if Sunday is a really busy day there, and I know the Acropolis is closed Monday morning. I am almost afraid to wait until Tuesday & Wednesday to see those sites for fear of a strike or something. Any suggestions from you experts? Thanks!
Marsh
Aug 20th, 2009, 09:27 PM

Hi

I think you're "sweating the small stuff". Tuesday or Wednesday will be fine. In the unlikely event of a strike you'll probably hear about it on your arrival.
Aug 20th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Best advice for the Acropolis is get there early before the bus tours arrive and the place gets swamped. After visiting there you can head off to the other sites which generally are not crowded.
Here is an album of photos of the Athens Plaka area. These are the sites you mentioned. An additional suggestion is the Central Market just about 5 blocks up Athenos Street from the Monastraki metro station. Every kind of food product you could ever want to see and some you don't. Best not to be jet lagged whe you get to the market but a fascinating visit.
The Monastraki Flea market is on Sundays and that is a wonderful wander around.

Alos the new Acropolis Museaum, the National Museum amnd the Benaki museum are must sees.
Aug 20th, 2009, 09:35 PM

Oops was doing a spell check and must have hit submit by mistake. Too much wine with dinner perhaps.
By the way Worldinabag is absolutely correct. Stuff does not always go as we plan while in Greece but it really does not matter, just learn to go with the flow and get into Greek mode, have an ouzo, everything will be fine.
Here are the pictures promised.
http://travel.webshots.com/album/570719132pdjjHG
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:41 AM

Agree. Would avoid Sun. Go when it opens. Pick a day when weather forcast is good. Don't worry about strike possibilities - that would keep you from doing a lot of things in Greece (and Italy).
Aug 21st, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice! Actually we will have been in Greece for over 3 weeks when we arrive in Athens. That is a hint I learned on Fodors -- saving Athens for the end of the trip!