Athens/Islands End of November

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 05:56 PM
Sandy

Athens/Islands End of November

Our family is traveling to Athens during Thanksgiving, Nov 26-Dec 2. We already have our tickets, so we're committed! We have one week.

We'd like to see one of the islands, preferably Santorini, but after reading the posts I'm wondering if that's wise. We prefer taking the catamaran for speed and cost, but would the water be too rough as a rule?
Any other suggestions?

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:25 PM
xxx

It will be chilly.

Old Oct 19th, 2002, 07:35 PM
Nicole

Hi Sandy,
I was in Greece last year in November. We had fairly good weather the entire trip--although it did rain for the 1st three days we were there. Santorini is about 5-6 hours from Athens. There will only be a few ferries running to the islands at the time you'll be there. It was our experience that the fast catamarns shut down for the off season and there are only a few of the slower boats running. This presents a problem when the weather and the sea get rough. The ferries don't run. It almost stranded us in Santorini. I would suggest, if you do go to an island, go right away when you arrive, therefore, you leave yourself a little room if the ferries don't run for a few days.

You will probably have the choice of a day ferry or an overnight ferry. If you want to save time, take the overnight one--however, avoid Hellas Ferries at all costs. We took them back from Santorini. By far the cheapest we paid for a ferry ride with accomodation, but I wouldn't risk it again. It was a very old boat, the service was horrible, the room even worse. I did not feel at all safe on this boat. There's a website that lists the safety of the greek ferries. Can't remember it off hand, but easy to find when searching.

Have a great time!

Old Oct 20th, 2002, 04:12 PM
Carol

Hi Sandy,

Yes it will be chilly, especially on the islands.

Do NOT let anyone dissuade you from visiting Santorini! First of all, if you're there in November, you will be missing the throngs of tourists who mainly congregate in the summer months (July, August espeically). Santorini is possibly the most beautiful place on this earth, in my opinion. Yes, it's more expensive than many other islands, but less expensive or comparable to other places in Europe that offer similar beauty (the French Riviera or the Amalfi coast of Italy, for example... which is more expensive).

If you do it right, Santorini is not to be missed. I highly recommend staying in the the village of Oia ("ee-yah") and splurging to get a room with a view of the ocean. Fanari Villas is amazing, yet a bit pricey. You'll get better rates in November. Take a good jacket!

One other recommendation: don't bother with ferries at all. I've gone both ways, but found it the easiest to take a short 40 min. flight on Olympic Airways directly to Santorini. It's cheap (about $60) and you fly on a small jet. This way you don't have to waste time on a ferry, or worry so much about the weather. You can get flight schedules from www.olympic-airways.gr. Then I suggest buying the tickets through www.travelocity.com

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Christine

Sandy,
My girlfrined and I are leaving for Athens on Nov 28. We are flying via Olympic Airways to Santorini on the 29th. We didn't want to risk the long ferry ride/potential delays. I got my Athens/Santorini tickets on Travelocity. A local agent and Olympic Airways personnel told me this was the best way and it was. It is currently in the 60's temperature-wise and next week in the 70's on Mykonos. Let's hope it holds. We are staying at the Theoxenia hotel in Santorini, recommended to us.
I hope you have a wonderful trip. Not much advice here but you won't be alone!
Best regards, christine

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Sue

Santorini is more than 5-6 hrs. from Athens by ferry; more like 8 or 9. I'd recommend flying, also.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:00 PM
Diane

Our ferry departed Pireaus at 7:25am, arrived Santorini at 2:45am after brief stops in Paros and Naxos. I loved the ferry ride, it was fantastic. This was mid Oct. and the sea was calm and it was just a bit cool. Blue Star Paros was a very nice, new boat. Islands were starting to get very quiet already.

Old Nov 12th, 2002, 05:01 PM
Diane

Sorry, arrived 2:45PM.