Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Athens Hotel for Single Female? Jordan/Greece Travel?

Athens Hotel for Single Female? Jordan/Greece Travel?

Mar 1st, 2010, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Athens Hotel for Single Female? Jordan/Greece Travel?

Am currently planning a trip to Athens and the islands in late April. I will be meeting my boyfriend in Athens, but I will likely need to arrive in Athens early one day before he gets there late the next night. I'm looking for a place to stay that will be very safe for a single female preferably with an interesting surrounding area with decent cafes/restaurants and possibly a pool to occupy me / provide a place to decompress for the 36 hours or so I have on my own. I'm open to smaller places in quiet neighborhoods or B&Bs, but will need fairly easy access to/from airport as we'll both be coming in on our own and his flight gets in quite late (11 PMish). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also, anyone know of any way to get from Amman, Jordan to Athens besides flights (which are somewhat limited). If there's anything else, I'd love to know about it! I have the time to do anything a bit slower also. Thanks again!
Mar 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM

If you stay at the Pan or Arethusa Hotels you'll be only one block or less away from the Airport Express Bus Stop at Syntagma Square in the heart of the city. The bus leaves the airport every 20-30 minutes, 24/7/365 from outside Arrivals Door 5. Buy tickets from the kiosk out there or from the driver if the kiosk isn't open. The trip into town will take about 45 minutes at that late hour.

See about getting from Amman to Tel Aviv or Cairo and flying from there.
Mar 3rd, 2010, 02:05 PM

Also, tho BrotherLee didn't specify, no point in a Pool in April... Greek pools are outdoor and unheated, so April is a No. I do hope that you and boyfriend alsoo are aware that the sea is too chilly to swim in APril, ditto any hotel pools that may be open. Beach can be good for sunbathing, on sunny days that is.
Mar 4th, 2010, 04:54 AM

Hey travelmd..Hotels w/pools are basically larger properties..and costlier as well! They usually open or start Season around May 1 depending on weather and have on occassion opened earlier in later April..again, weather-dependant;-) If you're just looking for a place to unwind and hang while you wait for your friend in a great area, think BLL's suggestions are excellent since no budget-spread was supplied! There are loads of hotels in Syntagma Square/Plaka area covering all budgets w/convenience to both dedicated metro and bus to/from the airport! Have fun and Enjoy!
Mar 4th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Regarding budget, was hoping to stay at/around 100 Euro per night (although less would be great). Pool was more to have something to sit by and read, so I can pretend to be doing something while unwinding from earlier travels instead of just snoozing in the room. Any recommendations for smaller museums/off the beaten path treasures near the Plaka area would be appreciated too.
Mar 7th, 2010, 09:22 AM

travelmd, A suggestion: I have stayed at Hotel Attalos several times and the first time I was alone waiting for my husband to fly over and meet me. It is close to Monastraiki Square. The price and location is great - close to Plaka, Acropolis. There are lots of tavernas to sit and relax for a while, get a cold drink or some food. Hotel does not have a pool and no lobby to hang out in, but the roof top cafe has super Acropolis views.

Search this Thread