Search

Accomodation in Sicily

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Lam
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accomodation in Sicily

Just yesterday I booked 2 weeks in Sicily-flights only. I'm from Ireland and I've never been in Italy before. My self and my wife are going. Were flying into Catania. Are there a lot of mid-range hotels in Sicily? We went to France last year and travelled around staying in 2 star hotels(which were way better than 2 star in Ireland. You wouldn't dream of staying in 2 star accomodation in Ireland). The hotels were plentiful and cheap(€38 to about €58 per ROOM per night). Is Sicily similar or are the hotels much dearer?? We might rent a car for part of our holiday. We'll be travelling around a bit unless we find somewhere that we don't want to leave. I'd be glad of any advice on accomodation!

Old Jun 20th, 2003, 07:07 AM

In Palermo I stayed at Hotel Gardenia, it was 78 Euros a night. In Sciacca I stayed at Verdetecnica, a self-catering accomodation for 50 Euros a night, In Siracusa I stayed at Hotel Gutkowski for 90 Euros a night, and in Taormina I stayed at Pensione Svizzera for 90 Euros a night. I found, in comparison only with Greece, that it was more difficult for me to locate cheaper & quality hotels. You can click on my screen name you can pull up my trip report back in April to get some itinerary ideas. The cheaper accomodations (like in Sciacca) I found to be in the out of the way places, but those places can also be convenient for easy daytrips.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 02:22 AM
Lam
Original Poster

Thanks for your response. Are those prices per person or per room? Do you thik that the internet is a good indicator of prices? I know myself from Dublin that the best way to get reasonable accomodation is to arrive and search locally. A lot of places have no representation on the internet, and the ones that do are quite often not too cheap.
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:15 AM

Those prices for 2 people in a double room. I found the internet to be a great and accurate tool in finding all of these hotels, actually I found them all based on recommendations from people here. If you type "Sicily" into the search box you will pull up alot of very good info. I'm not one of those people who can just show up somewhere without knowing where I am staying. The only place I would ever consider that is in the Greek Islands, because you get off the ferries and there are so many people waiting to negotiate hotel rates and to bring you there. It also depends when you are going, if you are going during high season I would definitely book ahead. I guess it all depends on your adventurousness!!!
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 04:40 AM

If you e-mail me, I'll send you my notes on Sicily which include some accomodation tips.
[email protected]
Old Jun 21st, 2003, 10:23 AM

Message: In Palermo we stayed at Ai Cartari B&B We couldn't believe our luck when we arrived. My wife and I had a large, beautiful suite of 2 rooms that would cost $350 to $500 in a hotel -- yet it cost us only 90 Euros. The kitchen and the bathroom are large and modern. The location is perfect, in the heart of the historical center off the lovely Piazza San Francesco, within walking distance to all the major sights. This home is 600 years old and lovingly renovated -- a sanctuary from the noise and bustle of the streets. The owners are Rosi Loria and her husband. Rosi is a very gracious woman who helped make our stay memorable. There are only two suites/rooms, which can be viewed at http://www.aicartari.com