athens hotel advise

Mar 20th, 2001, 12:37 AM
diane

athens hotel advise

Has anyone stayed at the Electra Palace near the Plaka in Athens? If so, comments would be greatly appreciated. We are going in April. Also any alternatives: we like clean, nice rooms but not huge hotels, in central location
Thanks!!

Mar 20th, 2001, 01:19 AM
Kay

Diane,
We stayed at the Plaka Hotel, clean but pretty basic. In a great position, right in the plaka area, walking distance to the Acropolis. If you don't want a lot of facilities, the Plaka would be fine. We'd stay there again.
Kay

Mar 20th, 2001, 10:52 AM
Walter

Diane: I think you will only find positive posts either here or in other forums/NG's about the Electra Palace. It's a big hotel but not huge and very centrally located (at the edge of the Plaka, very close to Syntagma Sq.). HTH Regards, Walter
Author: Walter ([email protected])
Date: 2/26/2001, 7:49 pm ET
Message: The nicest, best and only 4* hotel actually *in* the Plaka is the Electra Palace. I've stayed there in Feb99 & Jan00 and it's very nice with all the "whistles and bells", staffs alittle snobish though. It will cost ~$135USD in April and if you can get one of the front facing top floors you'll have a very nice view of the Acropolis. Also a rooftop pool and I believe also a rooftop restaurant, but closed when I was there (winter). HTH Regards, Walter

Mar 20th, 2001, 12:18 PM
Karen

My husband and I stayed at the Electra Palace in May 2000 and really enjoyed it. The rooms were clean, and it had nice facilities. But the location right near the Plaka was the best! I'd stay there again and would recommend it.
Have fun.

Mar 20th, 2001, 01:37 PM
Patrick

Another vote for the very nice Electra Palace. Those above have said it all, except for the great breakfast (including eggs) and all the fresh squeezed orange juice you want (you actually make it yourself by putting oranges into the machine). Beware, however. I made my reservation myself through their website. When I arrived they didn't have my reservation. When I showed them my email confirmation I realized that although the letterhead said Electra Palace, the reservation was actually for the less favorable Electra downtown. They were able to switch me, thankfully. Shows how carefully you need to check. I never realized that both hotels shared the same email address, so I assumed that my response was for the right hotel, since I sent it to their website! Actually the letterhead was for both hotels.

Mar 20th, 2001, 01:55 PM
panos

Consider Divani Acropolis.
It is an expensive hotel, south of Acropolis, big but not huge, in a very beautiful authentic neighborhood.