Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Athens Hotel (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/athens-hotel-1002866/)

Surfergirl Jan 14th, 2014 07:03 PM

Athens Hotel

I've looked at the Fodors hotel recommendations; reviewed some of the tripadvisor reports, and now I look to you, dear friends, for any sparkling recommendations on your favorite hotels in Athens -- one of the few places in Europe we have not been. I have done the "Greece" search, but most topics are on the Islands or places to see, and we already have that info covered.

Assuming we book this tour (yes, you heard it, Surfergirl and spouse are actually going to try one of these funny things called "tours" out!) we'll be booked at the Electra Palace Hotel in the Plaka area of Athens for 2 nights before this cool looking historical cruise with a UC alumni group. But we want to get the show on the road a few days before and get there early. Now, we could tack on a few pre-tour days at the Electra, but I thought maybe we could find some place just a little different, just to compare.

Our "must haves" are internet access (if not free wifi in room, then at least free wifi in the lobby), coffee in the morning would be good, and spouse likes a flat screen tv. I like an area where you can walk outside at night without being scared to death, with bars and restaurants within walking distance. Price -- under 200 euro/night would be nice.

So . . . what say you?

mariha2912 Jan 14th, 2014 11:35 PM

Electra Palace offers all the facilities you mention and gets good feedback. It is located on the posher pedestrianized street of Greece, Ermou, literally 3 minutes walk to Syndagma Square. I think location is great, only consideration is it can be somehow noisy during day. I believe their cheaper rooms are ~the 200 euro mark. Personally I find checking in in a hotel a few hundred meters away to check out a few days later and move to Electra rather unnecessary, but it's your call...
A for Athens or New Hotel or even Plaka and Attalos are more economical options in the same generic area while closer to Acropolis you may check Airotel Parthenon, Athens Gate, Herodion among others.

jamikins Jan 14th, 2014 11:52 PM

We liked our stay at Athens Gate, right near the plaka.

clausar Jan 15th, 2014 12:49 AM

Great advice from mariha and jamikins !!!

Electra Palace is a good hotel in a quiet yet very central location, with amazing view over the Acropolis.
New Hotel is a great design hotel, and i also like A for Athens ( even though it can be a bit loud at times, due to the roof top bar or the immediate vicinity to Monastiraki Square )

So why change a hotel for another one in the same location?

The Athens Gate offers great views as well, and i would absolutely recommennd it.

Surfergirl Jan 15th, 2014 07:30 AM

So why change a hotel for another one in the same location?

Not really much of a reason other than to experience diversity. Not sure how large Athens is or whether it would be interesting to stay in one area, then move to another.

I guess I'm asking a similar question to ones we get for L.A. -- should I spend two nights in Santa Monica, then two in Downtown L.A. -- if that is the case, then, yes, I see your point!

Second question: best way to get from the Athens airport to the hotel?

clausar Jan 15th, 2014 07:46 AM

You don't say when you will be in Athens.
In the summer you could eventually try a second stay in one of the southern suburbs on the sea, such as Vouliagmeni or Glyfada.

From the airport to the centre of Athens you have 3 options :
- taxi ( there is a set price of 35 Euros
- express bus to Syntagma Square
- metro to either Syntagma or Monastiraki, both areas with many good hotels.

suec1 Jan 15th, 2014 08:50 AM

Well if you want to be IN Athens, why change hotels? we are ending a cruise in Pireaus (Athens) and we have decided to stay "out" at the beach. We have been to Athens before and a short visit was sufficient. Our choice post-cruise is the Blazer Suites - I had posted on Tripadvisor Greece about this plan of staying near Athens - I didn't get much positive feedback but I'm going to give it a go. I think there are going to be lots of restaurants, the hotel has a pool and it is convenient to the tram that goes along the coast. It might be a good idea for recovery from jet lag for you - Athens is intense and HOT, depending on when your are going.