Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Athens help -1 nite/hotel/taxi 78 yr.old (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/athens-help-1-nite-hotel-taxi-78-yr-old-695527/)

frankcarbone Apr 10th, 2007 07:51 AM

Athens help -1 nite/hotel/taxi 78 yr.old

Hi - my dad arrives at port on cruise ship early morning in Athens port.

1. I told him to take a nice long breakfast on ship and taxi to town around 10am to hotel to drop off luggage and see sights (should he leave ship earlier to avoid traffic? - do cruise people hook up and split cabs?)

2. Then I told him WE could find someone to meet him at hotel and drive he & mom around to see sights (little trouble walking) - any recommendations?

3. Then I told him WE would find him a hotel, centrally located in a nice not too loud area that felt like his fantasy of Athens (any ideas) and they could walk to a nice little restaurant (any ideas).

4. Finally I told him he would have time to see the museum or changing of guard next morning before leaving for airport at noon to catch a 2:45 flight to Italy (righ? wrong?)

Have you caught on that you are the "we" here. Thanks. This board helped me have amazing trips to New Zealand and Sicily.

Now since I'm not sure of any of this can anyone help with advice in any or all areas?

Carolina Apr 10th, 2007 10:44 AM

I would suggest the Electra Palace Hotel which is centrally situated in the Plaka area. There are a lot of small shops and tavernas nearby.
I don't think I would tell your father to stay on the ship after everyone disembarks. He would probably be better going straight to the hotel and either having breakfast there or in a nearby cafe.
The hotel should be able to arrange a taxi for you to meet him at the port and take him to the hotel. It is better to arrange a taxi in advance as it's one thing less to worry about, especially for an elderly person.
Good luck,
Carolena

travelerjan Apr 11th, 2007 08:19 AM

I agree with Electra Palace if u can get reservations... it will be in Plaka yet have services he's used to from USA. Also agree that it will de-stress things to have hotel meet him with car.

Someone else can best advise on a taxi-tour of sites for the afternoon. However there is an easy alternative: there is a Public Sightseeing bus #400 that stops at Syntagma Square (his hotel can mark on the map EXACTLY where the bus stop is).

You pay 5Euros when u get on... you get a map that shows (in ENGLISH) exactly where u are and what you're seeing... the whole circuit takes 70-90 minutes (except in evening rush hours).. a quick no stress overview. ANd if they should want to stop at a place, it's a hop-off/hop-on bus.. the next #400 comes along in 30 minutes.

For dinner I recommend Cafe Vyzantino (Byzantino) in the tree-filled "restaurant square" just a short walk from hotel ( = 3 new york short blocks), down no-car pedestrian lanes. (The hotel can mark it on the maps they have). Sure its in "tourist country" but every time I've been there, a bunch of Greeks are sitting next to me enjoying dinner. And the bill won't give him sticker-shock.

Be sure the hotel has his morning taxi pick-up in time to get him to the airport by about 12:30... they will know exact drive-time for that time of day.

Getting to ARch museum in the AM might be stressful because maybe he couldn't flag a cab back to the hotel. Might be best to do the museum on the hop on/hop off #400 bus, and in the AM, just stroll around the Plaka lanes, etc. There's a nice Folk Art Museum just 200 yard from hotel.

KathyNZ Apr 13th, 2007 02:16 AM

Check out Matt Barrett's website, www.greektravel.com for invaluable information including his favourite taxi driver George Kokkatos. Others have used him and recommend him as reliable and honest. There is a phone number there also for him. A hotel in the Plaka or near Syntagma Square would be preferable as they are in the tourist area and close to the Changing of the Guard and the Plaka has many excellent restaurants. It is compact and easy to stroll around. I have not used the sightseeing bus but it sounds ideal.

frankcarbone Apr 14th, 2007 12:43 PM

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH! VERY HELPFUL.