Athens, Greece – need hotel recommendations for an early flight

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2011, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just need one night in Athens on Nov 1 for an early flight out the next morning. Can anyone suggest a good hotel that will work? Thanks ~
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 05:05 AM

If you have already been in Athens earlier in your trip, then you might want to consider the airport Sofitel. It's a little expensive (generally cheaper if booked through a travel agent, who can often get a better price), but it's across the street from the terminal and has a good restaurant. I've stayed there and liked it tremendously.

If you want to stay in town, however, I don't know of one hotel that's particularly more convenient than any other.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 06:28 AM

We stayed at the Sofitel and it was super convenient. They have pre-pay specials and the earlier you book, the cheaper it is - in fact, I thought it was really a good price for the quality of the hotel. The on-line rates fluctuate so check a couple of times before you book but don't let it go too long or you'll miss the best deal.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 07:12 AM

Another vote for Sofitel, but only before an early morning flight. I've stayed there a couple of times, and enjoyed the convenience of being only minutes away from the check in counters.

Apart from that, there are a number of hotels near Syntagma Sq which are convenient for both the metro and airport bus. I like Hotel Cypria, which has rooms for under €100/night and is only a short walk up Ermou St to the square.

Old Sep 9th, 2011, 07:31 AM

The St. Thomas B&B, Pantheon Hotel and Peri's Hotel are close to the airport. They can arrange a taxi for you before 7am.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all info. We will not have a car so a place easy to get to by metro or bus would be great. I'm thinking that a taxi would be expensive from the ferry docks in and around Athens. Yes?
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 08:33 AM

There is a bus that goes from the ferry docks to the airport - but just be aware it is a HUGE port and where you dock may be a fair walk from the bus stop. If you are traveling light, possibly doable. IMO I'd try the bus before the metro as I think you will have to change metro lines, it can be very crowded and there are some "tricky" people "working" the cars. I ususally try to use public transportation but Athens was one place I paid for a taxi - the driver was pretty obnoxious tho - kept trying to sell us an extended tour all the way from the port to the hotel.
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 09:03 AM

A cheaper alternative to Sofitel is the Holiday Inn Athes Airport, which is located on the airport highway 10 km away from the airport. They offer a shuttle bus, and the public bus stops just on the other side of the highway ( there is a bridge connecting the both sides)
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 12:47 PM

The only thing I'd say about the Holiday Inn (I haven't stayed there) is that it is neither really close to the airport nor Athens. So if you want to do sightseeing or dine out in Athens, that's not really possible, and then you still have to travel to the airport in the morning (granted not as far as from Athens).
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 01:07 PM

i think i mentioned that is 10 kn away from the airport, but it only takes 10 min to get to the airport.
People book this hotel, as an alternative to expensive Sofitel.. but you have to know that it is located in the middle of nowhere..... ( like many airport hotels...)
Old Sep 9th, 2011, 06:19 PM

We've stayed at the Sofitel all three times that we had a very early departure from ATH. It is expensive but it is uber-convenient and that is worth a lot when you have a 6am flight! We've always used Uli with Dolphin-Hellas. Her rate includes breakfast and is almost always cheaper than the posted rate.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 12:49 AM

>>>>>The only thing I'd say about the Holiday Inn (I haven't stayed there) is that it is neither really close to the airport nor Athens. So if you want to do sightseeing or dine out in Athens, that's not really possible, and then you still have to travel to the airport in the morning (granted not as far as from Athens).<<<<<
I have to agree with Clausar, the Holiday Inn is a good alternative if the Sofitel price is too high for your budget. Being on the X95 bus route is what makes it convenient too, not just the 10 mins to the airport, but also the fact that it's only 35-40 mins to Syntagma on the bus, which runs 24/7, so dining centrally, or sightseeing, is possible if you have time for it.
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 03:33 AM

www.booking.com best for a search feature for hotels

with shuttles... Intercontinental bidding priceline.com

from $60 usually best for me... better area cheaper

good system to airport at any hour for me.

Do join ichotelgroup.com Priority Club for suites/club free

Will also work for holiday inn not as nice

www.betterbidding.com good site for info on this

insuremytrip.com wise lots of fianancial unress issues

Happy Travels!
Old Sep 10th, 2011, 04:41 AM

Intercontinental has only a shuttle to Syntagme Square and not to the airport .......
Old Sep 14th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I've got my work cut out for me.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

Would staying at a hotel near Syntagme Square be a good solution? There seems to be metro stops close by and X95 bus? And, it sounds like that area has a lot to do in walking distance. Only concern would be if metro and/or X95 run often enough early in the AM. Where would you actually go to catch the X95 as the Metro stations are well marked. Thanks again for all your input and suggestions. P
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM

First Metro from Syntagma Square to the airport is at
5:37 am, then 6:03 am, the next ones are always at
33" and 09: every hour ( they run every 30 minutes)

X 95 runs around the clock, departure is from Othonos street, which is practically the right side of the square, as you look at the parliament. Very very easy to find.
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM

Ooops.. correction
Departure of the metro from Syntagma Square is always
at 33" and 03" ( 6:03, 6:33, 7:03 etc)
Old Sep 15th, 2011, 04:09 PM

I took the bus about four years ago in the wee hours. My hotel was Achilleas. It was easy to find the bus stop, but it'd be better to find it first during the daytime without dragging your luggage around.
Old Sep 16th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Clausar - Thanks. The time frame and schedule information is a big help. And, Thanks 111op thats a great tip. Now, I'll check all this out. I'll probably have more questions... don't I always. : )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -