Athens,Greece Help w/ hotels & itinerary

Jan 21st, 2002, 02:36 PM
Kiana

Athens,Greece Help w/ hotels & itinerary

We are travelling to Athens in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for hotels and places to visit outside Athens.
My husbad and I will be travelling with two small children ages 1 and 3 (yes, we must be out of our minds travelling internationally with two kids, but they have gone with us every where). We will be in Greece for 4 days. We are deciding if we should take trips outside Athens. We would love to see the islands, but are 4 days in Greece enough to see alot of the country. Since we are not renting a car, we would be relying on public transportation. Please advise!

I would also love to read your "don't miss" list for casual restaurants and places to visit.

Thanks very much in advance
[email protected]

Jan 21st, 2002, 02:44 PM
Grasshopper

I can't imagine travelling to Greece for only 4 days, much less with small children. I would have to assume you'll be going somewhere else as well? I don't think you have enough time to do anything but Athens and possibly take the quick one day Hydrofoil tour to Poros, Aegina and Hydra. I am not even sure that those are places you want to go in February. I'm sure someone here will tell you.

As far as restaurants, just wander into the Plaka and pick one. The food is great and it's inexpensive and very casual. We stayed at the Hotel Electra Palace and loved the view from the roof top garden pool. Again, I wonder if it's open in February. I heard it snowed on the Acropolis a couple of weeks ago (first time in 20 years!)

Good luck!

Jan 23rd, 2002, 09:39 AM
theodora

Hi Kiana,

I agree with Grasshopper about 4 days in Greece. I really liked Athens. It is really nice in the off season. There are many things to see and even 2 weeks was not enough for me.
However, some suggestions would be to use Athens as a hotel base and take one of the daily "Go Tours" bus tours to Ancient Corinth, Sounion, or Delphi. These will certainly fill your day, as if Athens was not enough!

If you do not want to stay in Athens, an absolutely beautiful quiet city is Nauplio in the Peloponnese. You can take the bus there. Go Tours also offers a day trip there with stops to Mycennae and Epidauros.

Jan 23rd, 2002, 12:06 PM
Boo

Hi.

I don't mean to rain on your parade but I encourage you to do a lot of advance research on exactly what it is you wish to see and do. The Plaka is fun and the Parthenon, of course, is a must. There is, however, comma, a school of thought that Athens is, in fact, a really boring place. If you live and breathe ancient history it may be right up your alley. The available ruins can be terrific, but I would suggest that you plan some alternatives in the event you find yourself pulling your hair out.

(Anyway, the best of ancient Greece is in the British Museum.)

You're welcome.

Jan 24th, 2002, 07:38 PM
Basil

4Days? Not enough!
In Athens - Monastiraki, the Flea Market. Nice stuff, lots of junk tourist prices, bargain like hell.
Good Tavernas to eat at. Its on the subway line. Very convenient.
Take a day trip to Delphi. Ancient site. Arrange it througha ny reputable travel agent. Worth the siteseeing.
Take a day trip from the port of Pireaus to the island of Aegina for the day. 35 minutes by hydrofoil. Nicely picturesque. Good food. Reasonable prices. Nice tapas restaurant specializing in Greek 'meze' called PATITIRI. Has a nice courtyard. Two blocks from the port. Obscure, beautiful. By this time you are exhausted. Great Rotisserie Chicken at "LEKKAS" right on the sea 100 meters from the port. Makes good fish too.
If time permits take a trip to the temple of Afaia - a 20 minute cab ride. Negotiate taxi ride. Great experience for the kids.
By now you are exhausted.
BON VOYAGE

Search this Thread