Athens Day 1 afternoon itinerary for Jet Lagged Group

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2022, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are seven people (2 seniors, 2 parents, 17, 16, and 13 yr olds) arriving in Athens June 25th at 11-ish am after a 10 hour overnight flight from Montreal, Canada. We have 4 full days in Athens but I think we'll need to take it 'easy' on Day 1 with regards to touring (i.e. keeping Acropolis for Day 2 or 3). We are staying in the Plaka district. Any ideas for a leisure Day 1 afternoon itinerary after we've set up at the apartment? I thought of doing the Acropolis Museum that afternoon to prep us for the following 'big day' tour. Maybe the Panathenaic Stadium as well? Is that too much? We have a food tour planned as well but we don't think we should do that on Day 1 either. I want us to be alert to enjoy all the food and drinks. All ideas appreciated - TIA!
Old Feb 27th, 2022, 07:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
You are right not to do the food tour on day #1. I also think you should wait to do the Acropolis Museum. We usually take long walks outdoors the first day.
At top of the very nice Kolonaki neighborhood, you can take a tram up to the top , Mount Lycabettus, for incredible views of Athens.Kolonaki is a very nice, upscale area with good dining. It is near Syntagma Square, above the Cycladic and Museums.
You can also take a taxi up to the where the tram begins. This will keep you outside and orient yourselves to the city.
Old Feb 27th, 2022, 08:06 AM

THEre is a fun thing to do to orient yourself ... and it only cost s €5 each. It's called THe HAppy Train... and it's like one of those "trains" o a boardwalk. The big advantage is that athe "engine" is really a disguised Jeep, with open carts behind, so it can ago on lanes that are "no-car" lanes. This means it can tour the area around the famous landmarks. The "tour" takes about 40 minutes an d is "hop on /hop off" So if you come to a place u would like to osee & might not otherwise go to (such as the historic Olympic stadium), you can jump off... anad another HHappy Train will be along in 40 minutes.
http://www.athenshappytrain.com/ ... I believe you also can START the tour at any of the stops; so just look at the route & pick the stop nearest to your apartment.

Agree that it's wise to do Aacropolis on day 2 -- but I assume thaat you'll be buying the "Package ticket" (€30?? that includes Acropolis pllus 4-5 other ancient landmarks). If you buy that type of ticket on DAy 1, you won't have to stand in line at ACropolis boox office on Day 2... and if your apt is close to any of the other landmarks -- such as TEmple of Zeus -- you can check them out on DAY 1.
Old Feb 27th, 2022, 10:10 AM

Since you'll be staying in Plaka, find time to enjoy a casual and inexpensive lunch at O Thanasis (Mitropoleos 69, just off Monastiraki Square. Metro: Monastiraki.) Their tender chicken souvlaki and tzatziki with pita bread were wonderful. The last time we were there, they had a courtyard setup with many outdoor tables.
Old Feb 27th, 2022, 06:06 PM

He's right O thanasis is rightly popular, good food AND good prices, thus always bustling. DO Be aware of surroundings, sometimes little kids wandering among tables. In 13 trips to Greece, the only time I ever had an item taken was there .. a small camera on the other side of my table, I was distracted by a phone call, and looked over & it was gone. (Note: these pesky little Artful Dodgersr not greek -- Athens has pickpocket rings ofo illegal albanians) NOnetheless, don't be jittery, just aware. I maintain, and the stats prove it, Athens still has one of the lowest rates of petty crime, compared with oother major European cities. I"ve lived in 3 of America's biggest cities, and Athens is the city I feel safest in.. and travel there solo many times.