Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens -Crete - Santorini - Mykonos or Paros? Advice/Suggestions???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2009, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello:
We are planning a return trip to Greece in 2010 for 15 days. There will be four of us (2 couples in early 50's). We will be arriving June 2 and will be staying at the Central Hotel in Athens. After reading numerous posts on this site, it sounds like taking the bus from the airport to Syntagma Square is the best option.

On June 3rd we fly to Heraklion, Crete, on Aegean Air. Most likey rent a car and drive to Rethymno (we will be travelling with another couple so it might make $$ sense to rent the car at the airport and keep it for the duration of our stay - 5 days - then drive it back to port) I have been trying to contact Petradi Beach Hotel in Rethymno via email to no avail. Anyone familiar with this property?

We will be taking the ferry to Santorini from either Heraklion or Rethymno on June 8 (Tuesday) and have narrowed it down to Anthona's Apts or Gizis Apts. Anyone familiar with either? Stay in Santorini for 3 days and then here is the dilemma....

Mykonos or Paros? We spent 3 days in Mykonos during the last trip but this would be the other couple's first time. The hotel that can accommodate us during that time is the Argo Hotel in Platis Yialos. Any feedback on this hotel?

I also have been reading about Paros which sounds like a lovely island to visit. Is it similar to Naxos? (we fell in love with Naxos!!!) Is anyone familiar with Paliomylos or Stela Mare in Naoussa? I have read good reviews on both properties on Tripadvisor and have emailed them, but have not heard back from either one of them. Is Naoussa the place to be? what about Paros' beaches? This is the only part of itinerary that I am struggling with - please, if anyone can shed some more information about Paros....

We would be staying 3 days at Mykonos or Paros, then head back to Athens via ferry. Spend one night in Athens, then fly out at noon the next day (June 15th)

Thank you for any input on this itinerary.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 06:49 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We loved Naoussa and spent four days there. We would return any time we have the chance.The beaches were very nice. We drove into the mountains, and around the island, but were always happy to return to naoussa with its waterfront tavernas.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 09:36 PM

About Paros, it is similar to Naxos only not as mountainous, lovely beaches, it helps to have a car to reach them ... more of interest than Mykonos, no cruise-ship mobs thank heaven -- unlike Mykonos, Paros town Agora (winding lanes) not filled with "name brand" East-Hampton style shops i.e. Cartier, Tommy Hilfiger, Calvin Klein DKNY etc. Also Paros has a decent museum, some neat arch. sites etc... and don't miss Lefkas a gorgeous hill town...

Here's a newish-type website for the islands, by a y oungish Greek schoolmaster, I llike it:
http://www.greek-islands.us/paros/ ... only thing to disregard is where he describes some beaches as "crowded" --- in JUne nothing will be crowded but the weather will be splendid.
Old Nov 6th, 2009, 10:19 PM

I believe the ferry to Santorini leaves from Heraklion not Rethymnon.
I am intrigued as to why you would bring another couple along with you but decide to take them to places you are unfamiliar with.
You appear to be experienced visitors to Greece and I would think you would want to act as a guide to the other couple and show them the places you are familiar with rather than taking them to places you are unfamiliar with like Paros or Mykonos.
Why not share your knowledge of the islands by returning to Naxos which you love and share your experience with others.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 03:23 AM

Paros has many beaches accessible by bus (more than Naxos, in fact). From Naoussa harbor are three beaches, including spectacular Kolymbithres, that can be reached by taxi boat. The boats are former fishing vessels that run hourly, taking you to the beach and back. You are spoilt for choice when it comes to beaches on Paros: http://www.greeka.com/cyclades/paros/paros-beaches.htm

A car would definitely be an advantage, but I've been visiting Paros and Antiparos for many years, and have no problem getting around by bus.

It is very common this time of year to not get a response to emails. Hotels are closed for the winter, and owners taking a well deserved break after a long season. Be patient, or if you can't wait, trying contacting the hotels by telephone. Their websites usually have winter contact numbers.

Regarding ferries from Crete to Santorini, daily service is only from Heraklion, all departures in the morning. In 2009 one catamaran, Sea Runner, had departures from Rethymnon on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

God I love this board!! Couldn't wait to wake up today and start reading with my cup of coffee. Thank you all for your input.

Standr: Thanks to your trip reports/photos and comments Naxos became one of our favorite islands and I agree that we should share that experience with our friends. But, since I will be showing them Athens, Crete and Santorini I am being a little selfish here and want to visit an island that I have never been to. I have been to Mykonos and loved it, but Paros sounds wonderful.

Heimdl: Thank you for the website info and I will be sure to do more reading and researching. I do have some printed ferry schedules from our last trip and somewhere in there it does say that on Tuesdays there is a ferry from Rethymno to Santorini. That would be great if it could save us a trip back to Heraklion. But that wouldn't be the worst that can happen.

travelerjan: Again, thank you for the website information. I'll look into it. I am leaning towards Paros for the exact same reasons you describe the differences between Paros and Mykonos. I agree that June is a perfect time/weather in Greece. We were there during the same time frame in 2006 and weather was great and crowds minimal.

I will also read up whatever I can on facebook.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Helen, if you do go to Paros, be sure to take an Antiparos round-island boat trip, or spend a day on the island itself. Antiparos can be reached by bus (€1.40) from Parikia to Pounta, and seven-minute ferry (€1) from there to Antiparos Town. If you have a car you can drive to Pounta and take it across on the ferry to explore the island by road.

The round-island boat trip stops at beaches on uninhabited islets, and for a bbq lunch on Despotiko. Several different boats leave from Antiparos harbor each day around 10am, returning about 5pm. Some stop to pick up passengers at Pounta on Paros.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Heimdall - it sounds like a perfect plan and I will be sure to bring this suggestion with me. Thank you so much. By the way, earlier this morning I received communications from Paliomylos Hotel and the Stelia Mare (saved me couple of phone calls!!) Are you or anyone familiar with either of these hotels? Paliomylos is at a much more reasonable price but if Stelia Mare is that much better or located in a much more desirable area, it might be worth it.
Old Nov 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Can't help you with the hotels. I stay on Antiparos, and take day trips to Paros - sort of the opposite of what I recommended to you. ;-) Naoussa is a good choice, though - a beautiful location, with good bus connections to Parikia and (on another bus route) Prodromos, Marpissa, Piso Livadi, Golden Beach, etc.