Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens, Corfu, Santorini - best sights (cruise visit)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2020, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Looking for some advice. We are going to be stopping in Athens, Corfu, Santorini (among others) during our cruise in October 2020. Our first time visiting Greece, and would have preferred to stay longer but since we have less than 8 hours in each port (give or take), I was hoping to get suggestions of the best places or "must visit" while ashore.

Appreciate any info!
Old Feb 18th, 2020, 05:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It really depends on your interests. For me, on Santorini I'd be perfectly happy to get the bus to Fira/Thira which is the main town and have a good wander, check out the many tourist shops, have coffee or a meal overlooking the wonderful view of the caldera. If I had time, I'd get the bus from there to Oia (about 20 mins) for more of the same. Some people will say Akrotiri is a must but we thought it was really disappointing.

One word of warning, if you are not doing a day tour organised by the ship, you need to be sure you can get back to the port in good time or the ship could sail without you. Last time we were on Santorini, admittedly at a busier time that October, the road to the port was choked with traffic going nowhere. Getting a taxi was next to impossible with queues of people and few available vehicles. Just make sure you allow plenty of time. October should be much quieter though.

Kay
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KayF! Great advice. I read about the issues getting back to port, so we will definitely ensure we give ourselves plenty of time if we opt to not do the tour!
Old Feb 19th, 2020, 09:24 AM

Unless you are on a ship’s tour at Santorini you will be tendered to the old port below Fira which doesn’t have a road. Your options will be to take the cable car or climb the steps. You normally don’t go to the ferry port, which KayF seems to be describing, unless you book a ship’s tour, in which case they will be responsible for getting you back to the port on time.

There are also taxi boats that take people from the tender port to Amoudi below Oia, then you make your way back from Oia to Fira. Sometimes lines to get on the cable car back down to the tender port are long, so leave yourself plenty of time.

The attractions of Athens are well known, but most people go to the Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum if nothing else. There is enough to see in Athens to keep you busy for a week. An alternative to going on your own would be to take a tour. I know through mutual friends Kostas, the owner of Athens-Walks Tours, and can assure you his 5* reviews are well deserved. If you contact the company they can arrange to meet you where the cruise ship docks and take you on a tour:
https://www.athens-walks.com
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 06:51 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Heimdall!