Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Athens..arrange taxi in advance or wing it?

Athens..arrange taxi in advance or wing it?

Jun 29th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

Athens..arrange taxi in advance or wing it?

We will be in Athens for a day and a half prior to flying to Santorini (in September). Having read all the posts on the famous George, I am wondering about the feasibility of hiring him in advance of our arrival. Although there are many posts, I have not found any information on how much he charges per hour. Many posters have said that hiring in advance through his or another web site costs far more than just hiring a taxi once there. I would love some opinions on this. We are looking to stay in Athens, see the Acropolis, main market, shop, eat some good meals in out-of-the-way places, open to all good ideas. I did e-mail George but have had no response thus far. I would imagine that it is not too difficult ot find a cab driver who speaks reasonable English once there.....true? Does anyone have an alternative for George if he is busy? (I cannot access the web site for taxi-limousine.gr)
Will welcome any and all advice, thanks!
Jun 30th, 2005, 06:30 AM
ira

topping
Jun 30th, 2005, 06:37 AM

We've just come back from Athens - we had 1 day there either side of our trip to Santorini. When we first arrived, we had arranged a cab via the hotel (we stayed at the Hilton - v. nice by the way). This cost €45. When we came back, we just picked up a cab at the airport - there are hundreds of the things just waiting for passengers, so no queueing. The fare was €25, with no hassle about being overcharged. I would say if you're staying at one of the main hotels, with doormen etc, it is absolutely fine to just 'wing it' - as even if there is a problem with the charge they will be able to sort it out. Also, there has been a big clean up of taxi drivers and charging since the Olympics, so many of the apocryphal stories you hear about dodgy cab drivers are no longer relevant.

Have a fab time - and even if you aren't staying at the Hilton, try to go to their roof top bar for a cocktail during dusk - most amazing views of the Acropolis (v. smart, so please no shorts t-shirts and trainers).
Jun 30th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Here is a reply form "George the Taxi Driver" that I received on Wed, 16 March 2005. Just a note, George the taxi driver is his company name and he has severals drivers working for him.

Greetings! George is available and happy to be of service. I can only give prices and information so please use the contact information listed below.

George's prices are per trip, not per person. The Mercedes taxi can hold 4 comfortably (plus George). He also provides limo service in his Mercedes limo which seats 7 plus the driver. (You can get limo prices by emailing George)
55 Euros for transfers from the airport to Athens or the port
35 Euros from Athens Hotels to port of Pireaus
280 Euros full day.
140 Euros half day
28 Euros per hour
Overnight trips add 45 Euros
If you are not sure where you fit than call or fax him. Payment can be in US dollars or Euros. No deposit required.

FAX from
USA: 01130 210 9637029
Europe: 0030 210 9637029
Greece: 210 9637029

Phone from
USA: 01130 210 9637030
Europe: 0030 210 9637030
Greece: 210 9637030

E-mail: [email protected]

Please contact him asap so your days do not get booked.

He also has a cell phone: 69 322-05887.
Please include your phone and fax number

We just returned from Athens and Santorini today and used the Metro system for everything. We had arranged transfers to our hotels from the airport prior to departure for $100, but could have travelled the Metros instead. I'm not sure I would have wanted to pull my luggage all that way, but it was not as expensive. If I did it again, I would have arranged a taxi transfer from the airport to our hotel from someone like George then I would have taken the Metro everywhere else. They really are pretty easy. Even I was able to figure it out. Just go to the ticket window insted of the automated machine.

The Metro system in town is only 2.90 Euros per person per day for a daily pass and gets you every where you need to go. We were able to gain some local knowledge, recommendations, and a city map from the hotel concierge. Also, I did some research on the various websites prior. So, unless you want a tour guide with you, I like the Metro system. Hope this was informational to you. Let me know if I can help any where else.

Jul 2nd, 2005, 04:40 PM

We winged it and had no problem. The hotel called for the cab and he was there in 5 minutes.

We had a very early flight to the islands from Athens, so the roads were empty. We were expecting the trip to take about 45 minutes, but it took about 20 minutes with our taxi driver going about 200 km/h most of the way on the highway!
Jul 2nd, 2005, 06:08 PM

Is there a taxi stand at the arrival terminal--are gypsy types ever in the queue of taxis? We are going in September and have been advised to scoot into the hotel and have the clerk come out to verify the amount by the professor leading our small group--I hope that's not overkill--I guess if the driver says $25 we can take the price, if not, request him to wait a moment. Is the tip 15% for cabs? Thanks in advance for the responses.

Search this Thread