Athens & Greek Islands - Trip report

Sep 9th, 2001, 09:11 AM
TeeN

Athens & Greek Islands - Trip report

Please try again. I would love to read your report

Sep 9th, 2001, 09:15 AM
Rob McCoist

Sorry guys. As I haven't been succesful posting the report here, a friend has uploaded it to:-

http://www.fira.clara.net/athens.htm

Hopefully that'll work OK!

Rob

Sep 9th, 2001, 09:21 AM
Jayne

Hello...

I had exactly the same problem..

What you have to do is cut and paste your report in sections. Look at other long reports and don't go longer than that.

Your report should make it in about "4" if you delete some lines..

Sep 9th, 2001, 10:16 AM
Yolie

Rob: Did you travel at all to Santorini?

Sep 9th, 2001, 02:11 PM
Rob McCoist

Thanks Jayne for the helpful tip. Would the report be better on this thread but in sections now that I've posted the net address? Happy to move it over if that's preferred by folks here.

Yolie, didn't visit Santorini this time as we were there last year. We thought about it and actually checked the flight and ferry times from Mykonos.

Hopefully we will return to Santorini next year.

Rob

Sep 9th, 2001, 03:59 PM
Nancy

Rob,

Would love it if you could re-post here since this is the site I always check. Hope you're successful

Sep 9th, 2001, 04:20 PM
Rob McCoist

OK. Here Goes:-

Part 1

Just returned from a 12-day trip to Athens and some islands. All in all we had a fantastic time and hope that what follows helps others who are planning a trip to Hellas. Temperatures were usually in the 90’s with little wind. Sailing to the islands was very comfortable, as the Meltemi had already blown itself out.

Sabena (I know, I know!) delivered us 14 hours late at the new Eleftherios Venizelos airport. Was impressed with the new terminal and baggage services in particular were very fast. Taxi rank and bus ports are immediately outside the arrival level doors and to reach there you pass ATM machines, accommodation agencies, and currency exchanges all of which were open (it was 2.30 a.m.). The taxi to our hotel close to Syntagma Square cost 7,800 drachmas and took only 30 minutes, as the roads were not busy at that time of the morning.

Sep 9th, 2001, 04:22 PM
Rob McCoist

Part 2

Following a recommendation posted on alt.travel.greece we booked an Acropolis facing room (Room 812 – recommended) at the Astor Hotel which is very close to Plaka and only a five minute stroll from Syntagma. We weren’t disappointed. The view was fantastic, the room fine and the staff very friendly. Check out their site, http://www.astorhotel.gr/ for more information. The room rate, including breakfast was 34,000 drachmas.

Day 1 - was spent returning to some of our previous favourite city places such as Kerameikos, Plaka, Syntagma and Kolonaki areas.

Day 2 - We took a 5-minute stroll to the Metro station at Monastiraki and paid only 200 drachmas per person for a ticket to Piraeus. The journey time was approx 20 minutes. On arrival at the port we bought a ticket (round-trip 3300 drachmas per person) for the 40-minute catamaran service to the island of Agistri. Beautiful place, many sandy beaches with an interesting main port.

Sep 9th, 2001, 04:37 PM
Rob McCoist

Part 3
Day 3 – The hotel had reserved for us with G.O. Tours a full day Argolis trip (24,000 drachmas per person including lunch). We visited Corinth Canal, Mycenae, Nafplio and Epidaurus. The tour was well paced and enjoyable. Air-conditioned coach with an excellent guide. The tour company collected us at the hotel at 07.30 returning us at 18.30. Details of the trip are at http://www.hopin.com/tours/14.htm

Day 4 - Our appetite whetted by our visit to Mycenae we spent four hours at the National Archeological Museum then spent the remainder of the (very hot) day taking the shade in the National Gardens. The small zoo and aviary there are worth a visit.

In the evenings we ate at restaurants in the Plaka (all of them in streets leading off Ermou) never spending more than 5,000 drachmas per person for substantial meals plus wine.
One restaurant that impressed was the Delphi on Nikis Street, near Syntagma. Here we paid only 3,600 per person for excellent traditional fare in a very nice (air-conditioned) atmosphere.

Sep 9th, 2001, 04:39 PM
Rob McCoist

Part 4

Day 5 – Flew Olympic Aviation to Mykonos (£76 round trip) and returned to the Rochari Hotel, a favourite of ours for a number of years. Room rate was 36,000 drachmas per night. Superb town views, air-conditioned, with the friendliest staff I’ve yet come across. Details at www.rochari.com

Day 6,7, 8 and 9 were spend relaxing close to the pool or wandering through the charming streets of the main town. We found the island not as busy as expected, something not lost on the locals.

Day 10 – Dinner with some Greek friends in their farmhouse on the other side of the island. Fantastic experience sitting under the stars eating traditional island food. Tasted sea urchin soaked in olive oil. Absolutely never again!

Day 11 – Bought round trip ferry tickets to Tinos (http://www.greekislands.com/tinos/home.htm) at a cost of 2300 drachmas per person. The sail took only 30 minutes. Although just a short distance away the island is a stark contrast to Mykonos. Regarded as one of the holiest places in Greece thousands of Greeks travel here to pray in the Church of Our Lady. It was very humbling to watch women crawl on the hands and knees, in a searing heat, up the steep road from the port to the cathedral.

Sep 9th, 2001, 04:53 PM
Rob McCoist

On Mykonos, Niko’s restaurant is still packing them in and offers excellent food at very reasonable rates (it averaged for us at only 4,000 drachmas per person). Kostas Restaurant close to the cathedral is well recommended at prices similar to Niko’s. Although a bit more expensive (7000 drachmas per person), Passaggio restaurant was for us the highlight. Fantastic food and superb service.

Day 12 – Flew Olympic back to Athens and travelled by taxi (6600 drachmas) to the Stanley Hotel close to Omonia. A nice hotel within walking distance of Plaka and Syntagma. Cost per room was 39,000 drachmas. Details at http://www.agn.gr/hotels/stanley/stanley.htm

Happy to help if you need more info.
Rob

Sep 21st, 2001, 03:21 AM
jeff medhb

Rob. Thanks for the information here. It's helped a lot.

Is there a ferry to the island of Syros from Mykonos and roughly the cost of teh fare for a round-trip? Also, is Olympic the only air service to Mykonos from Athens.

Thank you.

Jeff

Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:45 PM
Rob

Jeff

I used http://www.gtp.gr/ to plan the ferry trips and according to their site a number of services are available to Syros from Mykonos. not sure about the cost though. Maybe others opn here can help.

Rob

Sep 22nd, 2001, 02:48 PM
Rob

Sorry Jeff but also meant to add that Axon also fly to Mykonos from Athens. They use small jets compared to OLympic's turbo-props. I paid particular attention to that as after I saw our Olympic aircraft I seriously wished I had arranged the trip with Axon!!

Rob

Search this Thread