Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Athens Airport to Grand Bretagne (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/athens-airport-to-grand-bretagne-692986/)

Vacationer1 Apr 1st, 2007 09:54 AM

Athens Airport to Grand Bretagne

Whatis the best way to get from Athens international airport to Grand Bretagne? We will be three of us?

brotherleelove2004 Apr 1st, 2007 10:13 AM

Between 6:30 AM and 11:30 PM you can take the Metro from the airport to Syntagma Square. 15 Euro for 3 people. Walk outside of the metro station and the GB will be on your right. It's that simple. If your arrival is afte midnight you can take the Airport Express Bus #96 to the Syntagma Square bus stop, which is across the square from the GB. 3.2 Euro per person. The bus runs every half-hour 24/7.

Of course you can also take a taxi. Price will vary according to time of day or night and amount of luggage. Expect to pay somewhere around 35-40 Euro during the day. ALWAYS set the price before accepting a ride in a taxi. If you have doubts about the proper fare ask at the airport tourist information kiosk before engaging the taxi.

Vacationer1 Apr 1st, 2007 01:29 PM

Thanks, Do you know if the Express bus makes other stops along the way or is direct? By the way, is it x95 ir 96?

Ella Apr 1st, 2007 02:04 PM

We made 2 or 3 stops on the expressbus before Syntagma Square. I'm not sure of the number, double check at the bus stop outside of the airport. The bus is very convenient and very reasonable.

brotherleelove2004 Apr 1st, 2007 02:38 PM

Sorry, you're right, it's Express Bus #95. #96 goes to Piraeus. My "typo" mistake.

The bus makes up to 17 stops between the Airport and Syntagma depending on if there are people waiting at the stops.

repete Apr 1st, 2007 08:46 PM

Geez, if you're paying all that money for the GB, just get a cab .... bus and subway will work, of course. I've done all three options.

arabianjedi Apr 1st, 2007 11:14 PM

I agree with repete: if you're paying for the GB, go for broke. We stayed there (loved it) and found George Kokotos (sp?), who has his own website and promotes himself as the best taxi driver in Greece (he has previously owned restaurants in NYC). He was voluble, expansive, generous, highly amusing and entertaining. Not only did we book him for the airport transfers both ways, in his bright yellow Mercedes Benz, we also booked him to drive us all over for a full day, to Delphi, Thermopylae, Marathon etc. He was great. Would give you a link to his website but can't remember it. Look him up.

Weadles Apr 2nd, 2007 04:49 AM

FYI, we stayed at The Grande Bretagne last July. It cost us about 35E for the taxi from the airport. The ride took about 30 minutes.

Vacationer1 Apr 2nd, 2007 05:37 PM

Thanks, we'll take the taxi. Arabianjedi, when you took George to Delphi, did you also take a tour guide?

arabianjedi Apr 3rd, 2007 12:27 AM

No, didn't take a guide, and can't say I regret that decision. I did all the Delphi research beforehand, and took my Lonely Planet Greece with us, and DH knew all the Thermopylae details (can't wait to see the movie 300 now) so we felt we were fine on our own. George threw in the odd fact or two along the way, and joined us for lunch in a wee place in Delphi village. I'll never forget how touched he was when I told him of my great uncle, a New Zealand soldier killed defending the island of Crete in 1941. The Greeks are very much in touch with their recent past as well as the ancient times.

Gaspard Apr 3rd, 2007 05:18 AM

The Hotel Grande Bretagne has a limousine service with airport pickup. Costs 100-135 Euro, plus 25 Euros if picked up inside airport.
Thatīs the way you should go to the Grande Bretagne if you travel without your own driver.
g