Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Athens airport safe to stay at night a few hours?

Mar 31st, 2007, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

I will be flying back to Athens from Santorini and the flight arrives ~9pm. My flight back to the U.S. leaves the next morning ~7am. Since this would be an international flight I would need to be at the airport ~5am anyways. Is the airport open 24 hrs/day? And would it be safe to just stay at the airport until my next flight? If not, can you recommend any nearby hotels that would be inexpensive. I don't want to pay too much since I wouldn't be spending much time there anyways ( <5 hours including sleep)

I am a 35 year old female who will be traveling with my Mom (71 years old).
Mar 31st, 2007, 10:13 PM

It's OK to stay at the airport, but it won't be very comfortable. There's a hotel right at the airport, the Sofitel, but it's not cheap. About 20 minutes away by taxi is a Holiday Inn on Attika Avenue. They advertise a "Complimentary Airport Shuttle" but you'll have to be sure you can get back to the airport in the morning on time. That might mean a taxi.

http://tinyurl.com/369846

You can also take a bus or the Metro into town to one of the inexpensive hotels next to Syntagma Square and then take an early morning bus back to the airport. These buses leave from beside Syntagma every half-hour all night long every day of the year, so it'll be easy to make your connection. The early morning traffic is very light so it'll take about 45 minutes to get back to the airport. The Metro doesn't run that early.

The Arethusa Hotel is actually just a block from the bus stop, across the main intersection and down Mitropoleos Street a short distance. You can see it from the bus stop. The bus costs 3.2 Euro each. At the airport pay the driver and validate your ticket in the machine inside the bus.

http://www.arethusahotel.gr/
Mar 31st, 2007, 11:32 PM
Original Poster

Thanks brotherleelove2004 for detailing the options! As long as it is safe and open 24/7, my mom and I can live with a day of being uncomfortable. (I did find the Holiday Inn hotel and shuttle info too but it was too expensive considering our situation)

BTW, I'm happy to get a reply from you on my posting seeing that you seem quite famous on this website
Apr 1st, 2007, 12:49 AM

No one stops you from spending the night at Athens Airport - instead, they discourage you by limiting the number of seats in the departure lounge, and those that are there are uncomfortable for sitting over long periods. I firmly believe this was an intentional move to discourage the large number of backpackers who transit the airport from camping out there. Most of the shops are closed overnight, and restaurants allow smoking (smoke drifts into the non-smoking areas).

Despite all this, I love Athens Airport, but wouldn't want to spend a night there, especially with a long transatlantic flight ahead of me. I am not quite your mother's age, but old enough to value my comfort. Faced with a similar situation a couple years ago, I opted to stay in the Sofitel, and would do it again. You can get a discount on room prices with a non-refundable booking on their website http://www.sofitel.com/hotel-cms/gb/accueil/index.shtml.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:31 AM

Why suffer?
Book a room in the Sofitel, have a nice dinner, sleep a little and travel back home relaxed. If you donīt need this comfort, your Mom will.
G.
Apr 3rd, 2007, 05:43 AM

We chose to stay at The Sofitel last year as we had to be at the airport at 6am. Lovely, comfortable rooms and a short stroll to departures. It was expensive though, cost us 200 euros for a double room but as we'd saved money on other accommodation, we decided to splash out for the convenience and comfort for our last night.