My boyfriend and I have decided to go to Greece this summer - from 9th to 22th of august, and I'm trying to plan our trip. But now I'm not sure if it makes sense with the amount of days that I'm planning for each place.
1) Athens from 9th to 13th of august.
2) Aegina Island from 13th to 15th of august
3) Crete from 15th to 22th of august.
We both want to go to Athens for a few days, see the main sights like Akropolis, Monastiráki and Plaka, but also have time to feel the city a little, explore, have a drink or two maybe and relax with some good food.
With our current plan we will have 3,5 days in Athens. Is this too short??
Then [u]I [/u]really wanted to see the Island of Aegina. I read that it's less touristy than other islands, that locals usually go there and in general should be a very charming island to visit with a real Greek feel to it..
My bf think its a very small island and was afraid that a whole week or more would be to much, so we compromised, and now thinking of doing both Aegina and Crete.
Aegina for app. 1,5 day according to the above time-schedule.
Again, does this make sense? Is it to long/short or should we cut out Aegina from out plans entirely and use the extra days in either Athens or Crete?
I've been to Crete once before many year ago, lived close by Heraklion, and didn't see much else.
Now we're thinking about staying in Chania or Rethymnon, but finding it very hard to decide which.
As with Athens, out main goal is to get a feel of the island, see maybe some villages, some main sights (haven't decided about knossos yet) and explore the city we will live in. We're not big beach-goers, but it would be nice to have the opportunity to go to a nice beach once or twice. I don't think we will be doing the Samaria gorge hike, since august will probably be very hot, and we're not the hiking type of couple in general - but if there are shorter similar tours, with great views that would definitely be and option for us.
We're also planing to rent a car for some days and we both want to go to Elafonissi beach..
Any recommendations to which city to choose?
Chania is a bigger city with more life, is that correct?
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Barcelona to Malaga
- 2 Planning a Trip from DC to Anywhere in Europe (Budget Friendly)
- 3 Salerno as a base to visit Amalfi Coast
- 4 Is a quick stopover in Bern worth it with 3 kids?
- 5 Has Berlin Banned Vacation Rentals?
- 6 Spain.... 2.5 Weeks... Need Help!
- 7 Traveling by car Munich to Soelden Austria
- 8 August - Croatia, Italy, Malta
- 9 "Occupied" TV series: On location in Oslo
- 10 Rome - Naples - Paestum - Salerno - Ravello Trip Report
- 11 Connecting trains in Chambery
- 12 Recommendations Budget hotel Paris
- 13 Moscow Hotels
- 14 Headed to Madrid in the Spring
- 15 Packing Champagne
- 16 Manchester hotels
- 17 Visit to France
- 18 Christmas in Granada....food!
- 19 Four Nights in Nice--What should we do?
- 20 Help me pick a destination --- Please!
- 21 Best area to stay in Amsterdam for a first time visitor
- 22 St, Goar or Bacharach
- 23 Looking for Paris Rental Apt.
- 24 Mid-May stay in Lauterbrunnen or Murren
- 25 Help needed for Bergamo to Venice journey