Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Athens Acropolis - Purse? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/athens-acropolis-purse-330833/)

museumlover Mar 26th, 2008 02:16 PM

Athens Acropolis - Purse?

Hey Fodorites! I noticed in Fodors that backpacks are not allowed on the Acropolis. Does this rule apply to purses? I'm planning on taking an average size purse on my trip to Greece. I checked previous talk threads and could not find an answer to my question. Any help will be appreciated! Happy Travels!

cathies Mar 26th, 2008 02:22 PM

Hi Museumlover, I took a small travel purse that and that wasn't a problem at all. From memory my husband would have taken our small backpack that we took everywhere with a couple of bottles of water and maps etc.

Proenza_Preschooler Mar 26th, 2008 04:21 PM

When in Athina, don't forget to visit the ilias lalaounis museum. It is near the base of the Acropolis on the edge of the Plaka.

I own many pieces of his jewellery. You will be very impressed with this jewellery museum.

The Great and Powerful Thingorjus

batisl Mar 27th, 2008 08:38 PM

You will not have a problem taking a purse up to the Acropolis. If you are going in the height of summer, go early in the morning...it's hot up there.

lanejohann Mar 28th, 2008 12:46 AM

i carried the same tote everywhere
i dont remember any warning about backpacks either

museumlover Mar 28th, 2008 12:07 PM

Thanks for the info! I had read about the ban on backpacks so that's the reason I was asking. I may go ahead and take a daypack. Thanks again!

travelerjan Mar 28th, 2008 08:01 PM

I think they are gettng tough on backpacks... they don't seem to look at shoulder-bags ... I use a SportSac that holds a ton but doesn't look big. Those tear-drop travel shoulder bags are good too.

If you are taking a backpack up there, I would try to make it look smallish as you pas the gate.. Tie your big sweater around your waste put your camera and guidebook in your hands... after you pass the gate you can stuff them back into the backpack.

travelerjan Mar 28th, 2008 08:03 PM

I meant, your WAIST. Getting late.

museumlover Mar 30th, 2008 04:39 AM

Thanks Travlerjan! I'm thinking about dropping the purse idea and take a very small Rick Steves daypack (about 1000 cubic). I will follow your advice and take as much out of it before entering the Acropolis. By the way, I'm staying at the Hotel Philippos which is very close to the Herodion theatre. Do you know this place?

travelerjan Mar 30th, 2008 05:06 AM

No, but I've heard good things and it's in a nice area. Check trip advisor for traveler comments.

LindaBrinck Mar 30th, 2008 05:18 AM

On a tour of the Vatican in 1995, I suggested to a young tourmate that she put her backpack on her shoulder and carry it under her arm like a purse. It got her through Vatican security.

How about a using a snap on shoulder strap (from your luggage?) and attaching it to your small backpack?

museumlover Mar 30th, 2008 01:33 PM

Linda...thanks for your tip! Great idea! Happy Travels!