Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   At this very moment in the U.S. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/at-this-very-moment-in-the-u-s-190754/)

Mrs. Washington Sep 21st, 2001 06:01 PM

At this very moment in the U.S.

To our European friends and to Americans living there. <BR> <BR>At this very moment -- between 9-11 pm Eastern Daylight Time (5 hrs. earlier than London, 6 earlier than much of the rest of Europe) -- about 90% of the 60 or so major television channels, including premium and special channels, are all broadcasting the same benefit "telethon" to benefit the survivors and the recovery costs from last week's horrors in NYC, WashDC, and <BR>Pennsylvania. <BR> <BR>Now, I admit to a certain sense of surrealism to see entertainers and other celebrities doing something that balances peculiarly between celebration and New Orleans musical funeral. This idea of wealthy people throwing parties and concerts to raise money for those several orders of magnitude "less fortunate" has always bothered me. <BR> <BR>But on the other hand, I mention it here to you because I have heard from a relative now visiting "over there" that -- despite heartfelt sorrow for us and concern for the future -- life is pretty much as usual. <BR> <BR>I mention this telethon because it is unprecendented to have the same thing on virtually the entire spectrum of channels -- not even the Presidents' addresses can do that. And it is a measure of the profundity of the impact on our country, and at the same time it is a measure of our bewilderedness about what to do with our new knowledge of helplessness and tragedy. We are not used to things on TV not having a happy ending. <BR> <BR>So I guess maybe we are trying to write one, with musical accompaniment. <BR> <BR>I wish it could work. But I think the party may be tragically premature.

very Sep 21st, 2001 06:13 PM

And, it's a very moving tribute. Just when I thought things would again "seem" normal it's been brought to mind once more. As it has many countless times this week. <BR> <BR>Yes, I will continue with my travel plans. But, only because I won't allow some terrorist bunch of a%#$@'s to interfere with my (our) life (lives). <BR> <BR>.... <BR> <BR>

Lipstique Sep 21st, 2001 06:36 PM

This concert is a wonderful gesture, and uninterrupted, commercial free. I would expect that a video and CD will come of it, with the profits going to one of the established funds, much like the profits of Elton John's tribute "A Candle in the Wind" for Princess Diana went to her favorite charities.

D.J. Sep 21st, 2001 07:12 PM

This is overkill to broadcast on over 5 major networks.Why dont they just set up a telemarketing center and call us all while we're eating dinner some night.I dont watch much TV outside of the news so its no great hardship for me.Only thing is that from what ive seen in my own community and heard about, all over the country we have been amazing in our efforts to donate to the cause.So why the huge telethon? Are we all millionaires with deep pockets? I think that other charities are bound to suffer in the coming year because of this.Last week there was a man and woman collecting donations outside the local grocery store for the WTC victims.Later they were arrested for fraud, it turns out that they were collecting the money for themselves.I always hear of charities that dont give all or even most of their profit to the cause they are supposed to be for.Hopefully the organizers of this event will be more responsible with their donations.

you are Sep 21st, 2001 07:33 PM

Anyway to get much needed money counts.What are you giving?

aaa Sep 21st, 2001 09:41 PM

You people should be ashamed of yourselves--the concert was very moving and the songs were definitely not festive- more fo a funeral==which was exactly how they wanted it to come off. <BR>You even had some of the performers with tears in their eyes while singing---extrememly moving and ALL the money goes to either NYC or DC or Pa--you get to direct your donation--- <BR> <BR>P&gt;S&gt;they reeached 71 Million dollars in 2 hours and still had another 4 hours left with the phones open for the West Coast and other countries--- <BR> <BR>If you didn't see it,you missed something very moving...................

D.J. Sep 22nd, 2001 06:18 AM

I give on average $600 a month to my church so No I didn't give any money to this fund.I figure with all the programs that my church funds they are sure to give to this one too, and then I don't have to worry about someone I don't know trying to scam me.

non-religious born-Catholic Sep 22nd, 2001 06:29 AM

I honestly never understood what people are funding when they give to their specific church. Is it money for construction and cleaning and decorating and overall improving the facilities, the welfare of the priests and nuns of that particular church, or is it primarily money that goes to local charity work, or does it go toward various charitable projects sponsored by groups other than that church in places beyone the locality served by that church? I really never knew.

s.fowler Sep 22nd, 2001 06:33 AM

Many churches have outreach projects -- some are those run and supported by the church's own larger structure.

x Sep 22nd, 2001 07:32 AM

The concert was lame. Celine Dion singing God Bless America? Isn't she Canadian?

Cindy Sep 22nd, 2001 07:51 AM

The concert wasn't lame, but it made me feel old. Who WERE all those people? Couldn't they have flashed the performers' names on the screen for one second? I wasn't even sure about Celine Dionne until I saw it in the paper today. I think I recognized Stevie Wonder, Alicia Keyes, Paul Simon and Billy Joel. My husband filled me in on Neal Young. Besides that, I was totally lost.

dan woodlief Sep 22nd, 2001 08:22 AM

Hey, I thought it was very good, and I must be old because I knew all but 2-3 performers by name. I think it says something when you can bring together big time performers for a cause, such as Celine Dion, U2, Neil Young, and Bruce Springsteen. I did wonder a little about Celine Dion singing God Bless America, but her voice is perfect for the song. Not to mention all the superstar entertainers on the phones. Don't you think it might make people more likely to give knowing they can call up and possibly speak to Clint Eastwood or Jack Nicholson rather than some unknown?

Cindy Sep 22nd, 2001 09:34 AM

Bruce Springsteen? One of those people was Bruce Springsteen? Aw, man. I missed it. I wish someone had told me.

Mary Sep 22nd, 2001 10:33 AM

It was a pretty somber musical event, but the music was beautiful. I have never been a Bon Jovi fan, but the song they did was great. Anyone know what the name of it was?

micia Sep 22nd, 2001 01:28 PM

Mrs.Washington: Things may be "pretty much as usual" over here as you say, but the events of Sept.11 are not forgotten. <BR>You might be happy to know that this morning on state tv, the same show was broadcast here too. Entirely. <BR>Tonight, the private channel will run it as well. Entirely. <BR>I know of many people here that saw it this morning (including my husband) and when they saw the address and email to donate, they did so in one form or the other. <BR>It was also a really big story on all the channels during the news at lunch, today. I missed the all the evening news tonight, but I am sure it was talked about again. <BR>The news happen to mention that this show was broadcast in 64 different countries. <BR>

micia Sep 22nd, 2001 01:29 PM

forgot to mention that it was on live last night here too, on the satellite.

D.J. Sep 22nd, 2001 01:43 PM

O.K., So I heard it was pretty good. Now I kind of do wanna see it.Will it be on again?

pat Sep 22nd, 2001 02:39 PM

For what its worth, Celine Dion does live in Florida. I enjoyed the concert. No one is forcing you to give.

Micia Sep 22nd, 2001 04:26 PM

With all the wealth these people have gethered. Could they just actually donate money than having the concert for all us little people to painstakingly accumulate needed funds?

dan woodlief Sep 22nd, 2001 06:44 PM

Micia, this is kind of third hand information, but someone told me they heard several celebrities gave lots of money. Julia Roberts - $2 million, Rosie O'Donnell - $1 million. Anyone else heard this? I also heard the NY Jets football team was donating its game day salaries this weekend, which would come to around half a million.