Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Asthma and smoking (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/asthma-and-smoking-324863/)

lois1262 Mar 17th, 2008 06:35 AM

Asthma and smoking

I'm considered a moderate/severe asthmatic and I'm put on prednisone about every 3 months. I am sensitive to cigarette smoke and high heat/humidity.

I have been offered an opportunity to go to Italy in July. We would visit Rome, Venice, Naples, Florence. I'm concerned that I would have flare-ups. Has anyone with asthma traveled this time of year? Also, is there alot of public smoking?

Cowboy1968 Mar 17th, 2008 07:30 AM

It may be easier to avoid smoke than heat in July in Italy.

Probably not a good time for you to enjoy these cities since you will probably have to walk a good deal to see all the sights.

I'd be a bit reluctant to rely on other travellers' experiences with asthma. What might have been tolerable for many, might not be acceptable for you.

jgg Mar 17th, 2008 07:39 AM

I agree with Cowboy's comments "What might have been tolerable for many, might not be acceptable for you."
However, if you are looking for anecdotal evidence, my family was in Italy for 3 weeks in June 2006. Hubby, 11 yo son and I are all asthmatics. We did not have any flare ups on our trips. Restaurants are nonsmoking now so you definitely won't find yourself in a crowded restaurant with smokers.

That being said, it was quite hot in Rome in late June (about 100 degrees). We were glad that was not our first trip to Rome as it would have been hard to enjoy it. Being our 2nd trip we were able to skip some of the more touristy sites and just enjoy the city.

J62 Mar 17th, 2008 07:53 AM

Smoke? Not a problem not what restaurants in Italy have all gone non-smoking. That should be the least of your concerns now.

Heat? Last July it was 100+ in much of Italy for about 2 weeks (including Florence/Tuscany). Too hot in the afternoon to even be out and about - just too fatiguing. The good thing is that evenings cool off, so by 9pm or so you can open windows. Make sure you have AC where you stay, especially if you are heat sensitive.

It will definitely be hot, but the 100+ weather was not normal.

Humidity? Venice will be more humid, so AC is a must (you can't leave windows open like elsewhere). No humidity problems in Rome or Florence. Naples can also be humid.

Jake1 Mar 17th, 2008 09:31 AM

Florence is often very humid in the summer--it's river valley location is subject to inversion layers that can make the city swelter, though the nearby countryside can be dry as a bone at the same time. Plus Florence doesn't get much rainfall to relieve the humidity.

Dukey Mar 17th, 2008 09:36 AM

Lois, if you do go please don't let anyone tell you that A/C isn't "needed" as someone has already said, it will be humid at that time of year and you know what that does to asthmatics.

LoveItaly Mar 17th, 2008 10:08 AM

Regarding no humidty problems in Rome, that is not so. One of the reasons my son-in-law so loves living here in N. CA is that even when the temps get to be triple digit we do not have high humidty.
He was born and raised in Rome and lived there until ten years ago. As he always has said when it gets hot in Rome you can cut the air with your hand.

Personally lois, having a family member with asthma if high/humidity causes you asthma flareups I would think twice before visiting those cities during July.

Best wishes to you with your decision.