Assissi (Day or Night)

Search

Assissi (Day or Night)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assissi (Day or Night)

My wife and I traveling through Italy in May and what to know if we travel to Assissi is it wise to stay over night or just take the train to Seinna later in the day. Is that a enough time to absorb Assissi.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:27 PM

Most people would say that the nights are the only time worth being there, since the tourists abound during the day.

Also, the bus to Siena is a lot easirt than the train. See:

http://www.turismoverde.com/italia/trasport/bus.htm

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:39 PM

If you arrive in Assisi pretty early in the morning and succeed in seeing just the essential (starting from the entrance door of Assisi, walking along the main street, visit Santa Chiara Church and ending up at the church of Saint Francis), IMO you won't have to spend the night in Assisi. But again, it depends on your interest in the city, its hisotory and art. If you are interested in a deeper visit, then a night is advisable, otherwise (that's what I did myself too, years back, that is just visit the city in one day and then go back to the camping site I was staying at) starting in the morning you will have a general idea of the city. The city centre is lovely though, full of shops selling handcrafted stuff, tiny lanes with flowers on the walls...
Maybe I haven't helped you at all in taking a decision....
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Chatters

The first time I visited Assissi, it was just a day trip....and I could not wait to return and spend more time. Then again, much of that love at first sight with Assissi was that we visited in May , have always admired the life of Saint Francis, and because the town is just breathtaking. The second visit I planned much better, and got to explored much more. Walk the streets at a leisure pace and truly absorbed the atmosphere. Loved every minute of it. Assissi also have great restaurants and of course, great wine.

Have a great time in Assissi. Whether you go for two days or two hours, do not miss it.

Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:07 PM

Italy is best done in slow travel mode. Its hard to experience any city or town w/o an overnight. By staying, you'll enjoy the changing rhythm of the place as day fades to night.
buon' viaggio
AndrewDavid
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:15 PM

I was in Assisi for just a day visit, and wished I had stayed over night.
Old Feb 15th, 2004, 04:17 PM
rex

My first visit was a (late night arrival) overnighter of less than 14 hours, and it was clearly too short.

Second visit was two-nighter, closer to 48 hours, and it was just about right. It included a Sunday morning mass (arrived Sat afternoon, departed Monday noon after visiting the Hermitage), so without a Sunday, a single overnight might be okay also.

Best wishes,

Rex