Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Assisi three nights,hotel & day trips info. help.

Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ciao everyone,
My wife and I will be traveling to Italy for the second time in September. We want to experence the Umbria region for three nights. Would Assisi be a good location to base our travel from? Has anyone stayed at the Hotel Da Angelo in Assisi. We want to go to Deruta and other towns you can suggest to purchase some glazed terra cotta ware. Also, we will be traveling to Rome from Assisi and need help in locating the closest train station and drop off for our rental car. Thank you, Louie.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 10:53 AM

Do not know the Da Angelo but love the Hotel Umbra--yes, that is the spelling.
I would drop at Orvieto if you have not seen it before. But, Terni may also work for you.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply Bob,
Any recommendations on Assisi sites and restaurants. Also, are there wineries in this area that allow visitors. Thanks, Louie.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:21 PM

We stayed at the Hotel Sole in Assisi, in rooms 36 and 38, the attic suite. We had a small balcony overlooking the street. Phone 011 39 075 81 23 73, fax 011 39 075 81 37 06. The hotel is fairly small and quiet. Our rooms were fine, with slanted ceilings and skylights. It had a rustic stone breakfast room. All in all, a good place.

There was a very good gelateria right across the street. We ate dinner around the corner at Pizzaria dalla Colle. Don't let the name fool you-it's a lot better than a mere pizzaria. Very good pasta and meat dishes, too.

Our favorite places in Assisi were the Basilica of St. Francis, especially his tomb and the Giotto frescoes, the Hermitage, and the 2,000 year old temple that is now a church.

The closest train station to Assisi is in Sta. Maria degli Angeli, which is a few miles away. We took cabs to and from the train station, and walked in Assisi. It's a beautiful town, and well worth a visit.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 06:34 PM

I suggest you use the search function above. Enter " Assisi" one time and then enter " Umbria" the next and you will get hundreds of good answers that would take me hours to replicate.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 08:13 PM

We stayed two nights in Assisi in October 2002, at the Hotel Umbra. Wonderful hotel, beautiful town. If you can, plan to attend 10:30 Mass at the cathedral. Marvelous choir, great experience.

That being said, parking in and near Assisi is so dear that you may find it less than ideal as a base to explore Umbria. We left our car in a lot outside the city walls and had such a hard time finding that spot, we were reluctant to leave town and give up our parking spot to explore. I'd stay in Assisi one night, because it is wonderful, but make my base for exploration some place more car friendly.
Old Feb 13th, 2004, 09:06 PM

Here's another vote for Hotel Umbra. We stayed there on part of our honeymoon and it is fabuous. Best location, right in the middle fo town. They do have a website, google hotel umbra. The restaurant there is outside under the stars and just wonderful. You will love assisi!