Search

Assisi hotels: Umbra vs. Fontebella

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assisi hotels: Umbra vs. Fontebella

Hi, all,

Looking for your help in choosing another set of hotels in Italy. Both the Umbra and Fontebella in Assisi get solid reviews here and elsewhere. The rate quoted at the Umbra is Euro 118; the Fontebella is quoted at Euro 195.

I am inclined to go with the Umbra, given the price differential, but I would like to hear from others. (I am certainly willing to pay the higher rate if others perceive that much more value at the Fontebella vs. the Umbra). If it makes a difference in your opinion, we will have a car.

So, which would you choose and why? Also, any special tips on types or specific rooms to request at either hotel?

Thanks for all of your input.

John H
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Chatters

They are both wonderfully located and great ambience. Go with the Umbra and with the savings have a wonderful dinner at the restaurant in Hotel Dei Priori. Have a great time! Assisi is one of my favorite places in the world!!

Old Mar 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM

The rooms at the Umbra vary quite a bit. Ask for a large one with sofa with a view over the rooftops, and you should be very happy.
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:05 PM
rex

You will have a walk of 600-1000 yards to park your car with Umbra - - uphill leaving the hotel, downhill (obviously) to the hotel. If you want to economize, I wouldn't let that deter you.

I have stayed at both, coincidentally.

If you are there two nights, I can recommend dinner at both places.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the helpful comments so far. Very much appreciated.

John H.
Old Mar 27th, 2004, 11:19 AM
MK

We have stayed 5 times at the Umbra, I think that we like it. Last year we enjoyed room # 46. Some of the rooms have a shower and others have a tub w/ a handheld shower and no curtain.
The hotel is a short walk off of the main square and, as noted above, there is no parking at the hotel.
I am jealous, we love Assisi and won't be able to get there this year. Enjoy your trip.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the additional input, MK.

John H.
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Will be staying at the Umbra in October. Can anyone tell us how to drive into Assisi to get to the hotel and where we will be able to park? Will the hotel help with locating parking, and how much will it cost?

Thanks
Old Mar 30th, 2004, 04:03 PM
rex

In general, the hotel will not help you with parking. Take a alook at this map: http://www.ete.it/assisi/30120120.htm

The yellow ribbons are the roads, outside the walls, and you will probably come up the hill from the lower right hand corner, at that confluence of roads. Note that there are three entrances through the walls on the right hand edge. I think that the parking I used is just outside the wall at the uppermost of those righthand wall entrances. Either that, or it is right by the right-most entrance on the "top edge" of the wall(s) on this map.

Late at night and early morning, I think you can get your car into the center (though you might get yelled at, and wonder "what the hell have I done?&quot - - if it is really crucial for you to load/unload luggage.

You'll figure it out with this.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 04:05 PM

To MK - Did room #46 have a stand-up shower? We will be staying there in September and plan to e-mail the hotel to ask for a specific room type. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 05:45 PM
MK

Room 46 has a tub. We have always asked for a room with a view and have never specified a tub or shower. We did have a shower one year but I don't remember the room or the year, for that matter. Getting old, I guess. I would email the hotel about parking. We don't drive but I got the impression, hanging around the lobby, that the hotel has an off-site parking area. Not sure.
You can generally drive close to the Umbra to unload. The barrier that blocks access to the center is just past the walkway to the hotel.
Old Apr 11th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Friends and I were in Assisi 2 years ago and loved it, not in small part to the Residence San Crispino. It makes me smile just to think of this place.We stayed in Brother Sun apartment as there were 4 of us and we still talk about it - the most charming place I've ever stayed. We went to France last year and, in planning, we all said "do you think there's a chance we could find a place like that in france?".brother sun has a huge terrace overlooking the Umbrian hills that runs the lenth of the apartment. It has several sets of tables and chairs on the terrace. Of course, kitchen,2 bathroomss, etc. 7 different configurations.Written up in Karen Brown but nothing could do it justice. Parking is a 3 minute walk below in an open lot.Can't recall if it cost anything. Might have been free? just went to look at url as a treat to myself and here it is. http://www.sancrispinoresidence.com/...za/default.htm. I have no vested interest in this place. just planning a trip to Prague looking for a place, thought of San Crispina and how my msg might help someone else.