Asia side of Istanbul

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 06:39 AM
Geo

Asia side of Istanbul

I have been looking at various travel sites regarding a possible visit to Istanbul. I noticed that all of the maps show only the western side of Istanbul.

Why is this? Is there really nothing to do or few places to stay on the eastern side?

Geo

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
abc

Yes Geo,

There is nothing in the asian side of Istanbul. But if you go out of Istanbul you can find many ruins in ANATOLIA (The asian side of Turkey)

ABC

Old Dec 10th, 2002, 10:00 PM
debby

Asian side is the residence area .Many restaurants,cafes,bars and one of the most chic shopping street/Bagdhat street.3 big shopping malls(Carrefour,Nautilus,Capitol)
Anadolu Hisari and Beykoz are lovely places with old turkish style buildings,small fish restaurants..

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 09:28 AM
Geo

Debby and abc, thanks for your responses. Let me pose a follow up to you and others. Should I think about staying on the Asian side of Istanbul, given the following info. I would like to be in a more quiet area of Istanbul. I will be there for about a month. Yes, I will want to see some of the sites in 'old Istanbul' but will not need to spend every day there. I will be with a very close lady friend (not from Turkey) who I haven't seen for awile, so we will be spending a lot of time 'in the house.' But when we do venture out, will we be able to easily take buses, etc., from the asian side to reach the tourist interest areas on the west side? Will we find all of the accomodations for foreigners on the asian side as exist on the western side. e.g. Many English speakers at restaurants, grocery stores, etc.

Thanks, Geo

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:58 AM
abc

Yes and NO

It depends on which place are you going to. If you are going to KUZGUNCUK and that area yes you can find some people speak English and I am sure you don't have any problem but other area such as Beykoz Umraniye Kartalyou may have some problem about language.

Transfer to Europian side where historic area from Asian side is not easy for foreign people. But you can go to otherside 2 way by boat or by bus.
There are private and Municipality transportation in Turkey and most important issue for ttransportation in Istanbul is you may not find direct transportation from everywhere to europian side or other way so you have to be sure where you will go and how you will go?
If you have any other question please don't hesitate to ask. If I know I can answer

ABC

Old Dec 12th, 2002, 10:20 PM
debby

I suggest you not to stay on the Asian side as it won't be easy to reach the European side.It is not easy to find a quiet place in Istanbul but you can stay at residence areas on European side(non-touristic places)like LEVENT,GAYRETTEPE,NISHANTASI,MACKA,BEBEK
KURUCESME..etc and you'll find many English speakers there.
I recommend you to take cabs as they are cheap, comfortable and fast.
Please contact for any further info,
Bon Voyager,
DEB

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 02:29 PM
Geo

ABC and DEB, thanks for your replies. I have given my actual e-mail address above. I have some more questions, but we should take this private as no one else seems to have an interest.

Please send me a short e-mail, so that I may contact you directly. Thanks

Old Dec 13th, 2002, 05:51 PM
xxx

ttt