Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Ashford Castle (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/ashford-castle-717869/)

Shadow Jul 2nd, 2007 09:51 PM

Ashford Castle

We'll be staying in Ashford Castle in September and though I've been to the castle I have never stayed there. What would you suggest for clothing for dinner?

I am thinking for women: "After 5" wear but not formal wear....even dressy pantsuits or dressy pants and dressy blouse/jacket.

Men: (this is where I am really clueless) is a suit and tie necessary? Or would nice pants, long sleeved shirt no tie do? However, I am thinking a tie is necessary. So, at the least nice pants and shirt and tie or maybe suit and tie?

We are taking a group to Ireland on a custom tour with CIE and I want to give the group the best info. on what to wear that I can...
My husband has a nice suit and tie and does not mind wearing it but some folks....well, you know how some hate to wear suits...so, I want to be prepared to tell them all their choices.
Thanks for any advice,
Shadow

travelinwifey Jul 2nd, 2007 10:17 PM

We also stayed at Ashford Castle through a CIE tours, it's been about 5 years though. Ashford was the last stay of our tour and though we ate in the dining room generally at that time tour guests were dressing more comfortably because at that time we were all a bit tired from sightseeing so much. People still wore dress pants with a stray pair of jeans. The tour guide told us to dress however we felt comfortable but it was still a bit smart casual. I specifically remember Ashford provided some excellent after dinner cheeses I still remember after all this time! I was in heaven, their food was excellent as well as afternoon tea.

Regarding men's attire, yes, there was a jacket and tie at the beginning for some travelers but it was much more relaxed at the end.

About CIE, I can't say enough good things about them. Have done 3 tours with them and an office friend of my spouse's just completed a car/hotel vacation through CIE at our suggestion.

Any other questions don't hesitate to ask, hope this helps:)

Shadow Jul 3rd, 2007 09:45 AM

travelinwifey-thanks for the information...ours too will be at the end of our tour..I am the tour leader and this tour is one I planned so I wanted the castle to be near the end.. but, its only 8 days ....we'll have one more night after this in Dublin.
I am so glad to hear you liked the food! I really want this to be a great experience for the other folks on the tour...
Question: was the afternoon tea you had the full afternoon tea...with sandwhiches and scones, etc?

Thanks!!
Shadow

travelinwifey Jul 3rd, 2007 09:58 AM

Hi Shadow, the afternoon tea was complimentary to the tour members, and it was scones with jam and clotted cream with a few tea tea choices. There were no sandwiches that I recall.

Where will you be starting and do you have any other hotel questions? I think they generally stay the same. We did 2 CIE superior/deluxe tours of Ireland. One of my favorite spots was Muckross house, I hope you get to stop there too?

bellini Jul 3rd, 2007 10:05 AM

We stayed in Ashford Castle just last May. My husband took his suit to wear for dinner and realised he hadn't brought a tie. He asked the young woman who showed us to our room whether a tie was absolutely necessary and she said 'No'. I think I wore smart trousers and a shirt. It was smart casual really. It's not a 'stuffy' stand on ceremony kind of place. Just very comfortable and with delightful attentive staff. Enjoy!

Shadow Jul 3rd, 2007 10:22 PM

travelinwifey...
We are starting in Shannon and ending in Dublin..I designed the tour....first night Bunratty Castle Hotel (I've stayed there before) then the Dingle Skellig (2 nights), then Kinsale (The Trident Hotel) 1 night, The Westwood House Hotel (Galway) 1 night, Ashford Castle (1 night) and final night at the Dunboyne Castle Hotel outside of Dublin.

OUr group is not going to Killarney but I have been...many times and yes, Muckross House is great!

Thanks for the info on the tea!! Have you stayed at any of the hotels I have mentioned? I have only stayed at Bunratty Castle Hotel....

Bellini... should I tell all the men to bring suits or would just dress pants and a nice shirt do?

Thanks!!
Shadow

travelinwifey Jul 4th, 2007 10:43 AM

Hi Shadow, no, I've not stayed at a single one! I thought at least one hotel would be the same! I've always wanted to stay at Bunratty and likewise we've visited there with CIE but no overnight visit regretfully. Dunboyne Castle Hotel sounds very nice also. Now I'm looking forward to your trip too for the review, sounds wonderful:)