Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Ascension Day (May 21, 2009) - Will Italy be "shut down"?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are considering a trip to Venice, Milan, and/or the Dolomites region the week of May 18 - 23, 2009. I have read that in Europe many shops, museums, and attractions shut down for religious holidays. I believe that Thursday May 21, 2009 is Ascension Day in Europe. Does anyone know whether Venice, Milan, and/or the smaller villages in northern Italy will "shut down" for Ascension Day or any other days that week? Since Ascension Day is a Thursday instead of a Sunday, I'm hoping everything in Italy stays open that week! Does anyone know for sure?
Old Mar 30th, 2009, 07:34 AM
LJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ascensione is a day that is important in the religious traditions of Italy, and church-goers will note it, but is not likely to impinge on your holiday in any way. At least, beyond a small and picturesque procession in the morning, it did not in the small town we lived in, in the Abruzzo. Smaller communities are far more likely to save their 'early closing' days and festivities for the name day of the saint particular to that town. These are idiosyncratic to the community and you just have to check ahead by town.

I believe that Florence has a special procession for Holy Thursday (another name for Acsensione and not to be confused with Maundy Thursday when things really do close down, but thats mid-April!).Venice did once upon a time, there's even a famous painting that shows the procession. I don't believe they do osbserve it anymore in a big impactful way, but you might check with your hotel closer to the date.