Artists on Almafi Coast Advice

Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:16 PM
Lauren

Artists on Almafi Coast Advice

I would like to buy some original art - paintings - while I am on the Almafi Coast. I will be in Sorrento, Procida, Positano and would love to know if any of you could recommend a great studio or individual artist that you like. Also where to buy it?

Thank you so much, paintings by local artists bring back such nice memories.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 12:50 PM
Ian

We saw some artists painting scenes right at the beach in Positano. There were also galleries a couple of streets up. Local art tends to be very brilliant acrylic colors etc from what we saw. The biggest problem is getting them home . . .

Jul 23rd, 2002, 02:41 PM
dean

we have bought oil paintings in Venezia and here is how we got them home. We travel with a hanging val-pack that folds in the middle and zips all around. We covered the oil in bubble wrap and just put it in the fold. It was protected on both sides by several inches of suitcase.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:06 PM
Ian

Great idea, Dean. I'll make sure that I don't show my wife your post!!!

Now, how about ceramics?

Jul 24th, 2002, 05:56 AM
dean

I always ship ceramics and glass.

Jul 24th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Sherri Kardell

Here's another tip for getting things home' I always travel with at least 1 pillow; I have used it for padding when packing fragile items home.I carried on a very deilicate glass lamp ; wrpped in bubble wrap; a beach towel and padded with my pillow.
Also bubble wrap and flexable card board( like they use for china) would be good to wrap up your painting.Most of the larger stores will ship ceramics and it's still a lot cheaper then buying it in the states.
Good luck... if you go to a gallery or meet a particular atrist you like please post the info. when you return.
La Dolce Italy

Jul 24th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Lea

I have seen a gallery and artist studio in Sorrento. It isn't the fancy type of gallery, but has original paintings piled around in a store, I can't think of the name, but they have beautiful artwork.