Search

london or amsterdam

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
london or amsterdam

hello,

hubby and i are going for our honeymoon on january 18-january 27. we are going to paris for 4 days and cant decide whether we should go to london or amsterdam for the rest of the week. he is leaning more into london because he wants to go the harry potter studio and i wana go to amsterdam for the canals and the winter scenery. i live in ny so the cold weather wouldnt bother me

i mean, i dont mind going to london either, but i just dont think 3-4 days are enough to visit london. there is so much to see there. besides, i heard london can be very expensive.

as for the budget, is $1000-$1500 enough for both of us to visit paris and london/amsterdam? not including hotel and fares. more like for food, expenses, souvenirs and stuff

can anyone give me suggestions? it seems like we cant compromise -_-

is it better to visit london or amsterdam for our trip?

thank you everyone
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 07:47 AM

You go to amsterdam and hubby to London! win-win - no lose lose.

Amsterdam will probably be no more wintery than London - rarely below freezing at that time. But yes more manageable in 3-4 days but London would get my nod at that time as Amsterdam's key lure to me is outside - the canals, etc. as well as world-class museums. Amsterdam is also expensive - London cheaper now that pound has fallen so.

anyway take trains Paris-Amsterdam (www.thalys.com - book own far in advance like NOW to snatch limited number of discounted tickets; same for Eurostar train to London - www.eurostar.com - for train info in general check www.seat61.com; www.budgeteuropetravel.com and www.ricksteves.com.

Seems like you could have 5 days in London - plenty of time to see major sights.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 07:56 AM

We are supposed to be getting a cold winter, but it could just be damp and grey no matter which city you choose.
Toss a coin and go with it. The other one will still be here for your next visit.
Or just stay in Paris.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 08:01 AM

If hubby is a Potterhead, (and maybe you are too) the British Library currently has an exhibit on magic that includes JK Rowling's original manuscripts and draft drawings along with other magical stuff from their archives. You can even get there using the King's Cross station (platform 9.75?).
https://www.bl.uk/events/harry-potte...story-of-magic
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 08:36 AM

My daughter and I did a trip 9 years ago to Paris, Amsterdam, and London. I would strongly suggest London over Amsterdam. See my trip report for ideas on what to do in London too. We particularly liked the flexibility of doing London Walks including 1 excursion outside of London... Fun, could make decision last minute and pay that day, lots to do.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 09:38 AM

If hubby is a Potterhead (and maybe you are too) London -but if pothead Amsterdam! Seriously if going to a cozy coffeeshop after a day of hectic sightseeing appeals to one it makes Amsterdam all the nicer. Just something only in Amsterdam and a few other places in this world.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

he loves harry potter but my bias is actually amsterdam. i dont know why but i just love amsterdam so much even if ive never been there before. weird right

thank you guys for the response. i will think it over
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 12:53 PM

I too love Amsterdam, but really all of The Netherlands, especially in Spring when the tulips are blooming. What I really like are the other lovely towns like Haarlem and Leiden, and neighboring Belgium with Ghent and Bruges. That makes a lovely trip - in Spring and Summer. So, I would not go just to see Amsterdam, especially if you are looking for icy canals or ice skating, etc.

Since you can't guarantee the weather, the area requires more time than you have, and London is fine no matter what the weather, I say London. I find it easier to plan for a city like London compared with a country like The Netherlands. Four days would be great, but you can see a lot in London in three days. I would reverse things though. Fly into London. Take the train to Paris. Fly home from Paris.

Start planning your next trip for The Netherlands, Belgium and perhaps Germany. You will have more time to look at all the wonderful places close to Amsterdam, to plan and make that trip perfect.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 01:00 PM

especially if you are looking for icy canals or ice skating, etc.>

There are outdoor skating rinks in Amsterdam however - artificially frozen in the town centre. But yes canals freeze over about as much as Hades does these days.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 01:40 PM

I have spent time in Amsterdam at that time and found weather to be spring-like vs Michigan and there are so so many neat indoor sights - dozens of neat museums off the radar of many tourists but so so delightful - get a National Museum Card that gives free entry to not only Anne Frank House but Rijksmuseum and van Gogh - the three biggies for tourists but zillions of smaller ones that you would not pay to go in but with the card will and find so neat - lots of indoor things to do in Amsterdam and if cold enough take train to Zaanse Schanse - collection of outdoor behemoth wooden windmills close to Amsterdam - I once saw canals there frozen and folks skating all over the place.

https://www.amsterdam.info/museums/museumkaart/

I mean you may love Jewish Historical Museum; Lord in the Attic church hidden away in a building during times when that religion was discriminated against - Rubens House; Maritime Museum; Troppen Museum; Amsterdam branch of Hermitage in an old canal house; and historic churches that charge entry plus Royal Palace, and museums all over Holland in case you do a day trip to some neat regional town like Haarlem.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 04:12 PM

You can't go wrong with either but during that time of year I think I would pick London. It will get dark early in both places and London has terrific theatre you might enjoy in the evenings.

If you can't decide, you can always flip a coin with the caveat that the losing city will be the first destination for your next vacation.
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 04:38 PM
mjs

Another vote for London
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

if i decide to go to london, will the budget be enough to do both paris and london?

planning to bring roughly $1000-$1500. not including hotels and fares. more like food, expenses and maybe souvenirs?

any itinerary suggestions in london for 3-4 days?
Old Dec 2nd, 2017, 06:38 PM

No 5 star restaurants, but $1500, $200 per day for 7 days, should be fine.

London has tons of really good sandwich shops all over. Read reviews and look at menus.

Many pubs are good and they are all price ranges. Get REC's.

Quite a few churches and cathedrals have cafes or restaurants and serve lunches or dinners. Some are good, some not so good, so read reviews and check prices.

Do not bring money. Being credit cards and ATM cards. Take money out of machines as you need it.

As soon as you arrive and settle into your hotel, head out and get cheap tickets to some plays. Theater is great in London and a good thing to do on a winter night.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 04:34 AM

Don't get married until after the trip. It's a test.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:05 AM

any itinerary suggestions in london for 3-4 days?>

It all depends on what your are interested in? Besides Harry Potter -that will take one day.

But IMO London has few must sights for all interests besides I guess the Tower of London. Just walking around central London is a joy - street markets are great - taking in a London West End theatre at night, etc.

Again a guidebook would entail everything and you could chose. Like British Museum excites many but bores others - so what are your interests before anyone can try to answer this question.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:33 AM

A few of the sites I enjoyed in London:
Westminister Abbey
Walking by Buckingham Palace
The Tower of London
The National Gallery and Trafalgar Square
Hyde Park & Kensington Gardens
Tower Bridge
Theatre (discount tickets are often available)
The Houses of Parliament and Big Ben
St. Paul's Cathedral
The London Eye
The Tate Museums
Strolling through Harrod's - particularly the food halls
Churchill War Rooms
Riding on the top of a double decker bus
Walking tours

There is much more to do as well but these just came quickly to mind. I recommend getting a guidebook (I like Rick Steves for first time visitors but there are many) and see what most appeals to you.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:37 AM

Don't feel overwhelmed by lists like that - all great ideas - just plan to come back to London sometime and let this be an orientation tour.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 09:46 AM

Great, of course the trip to London is worth it to see the city and walk around bars, get acquainted with the city and culture.
Old Dec 3rd, 2017, 02:11 PM

The first thing I'd do in London is take a ride on the London Eye Observation Wheel (don't call it a Ferris Wheel which technically it ain't!) as this gives you a great bird's eye orientation to London - there are info signs in each car pointing out landmark sights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -