Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Artemis Villas, Oia Mare Villas, VIP Suites, Loucas Hotel, Aeolos, Oia Village

Feb 15th, 2001, 07:30 AM
Tom Baker

Anbody have a review of these lodgings in Santorini?

Feb 15th, 2001, 08:31 AM
Thyra

My husband and I stayed at the Loucas hotel last October for 3 nights and loved it! Every room has an over the top fantastic view.. well decorated, fun b-fest served on a terrace overlooking that spectacular view! Very Nice staff and a pretty pool filled with mosaic's (though it was a little chilly in October)We paid $77.00 per night which included b-fest and transfer to and from the airport! I highly recommend this hotel.

Feb 15th, 2001, 12:01 PM
Patrick

I'm one of those people often in the minority who prefers Fira to Oia. Oia may be a little more picturesque, but the sunsets are actually more splendid from Fira where you also get the islands of the caldera silhouetted against the sunset, and you don't have busloads of tourists being brought into the tiny streets just to witness the sunset as happens every night in Oia. We stayed at the Loucas and loved it. We were told two things that had us worried.
#1) it will be very noisy. Totally untrue, although there is much more activity at night in Fira, the Loucas cascades down off the cliff facing out and there is virtually no noise at night.
#2) the donkey trail goes right by the hotel and it will smell. (One person even told us that their travel agent refuses to book anyone at the Loucas because of this.) Again, simply not true. I'm not sure what they were talking about but the donkey trail is no where near the Loucas. We did see one donkey on the premises as they were building a new pool there last summer and they used a single donkey to bring in the tiles.
We loved the Loucas. By the way we paid a slight bit more for a special plan which includes transfer and were glad we did. A man not only met us at the dock and drove us there, but totally handled all our luggage down the many steps to get to our room. I once saw a post here from someone who said the Loucas didn't help them with their luggage and it was a problem. That's the reason, it is an extra service. If you don't want that service then don't complain because they don't provide it free.
The rooms are not luxurious. They are simple, but comfortable and fairly large, and furnished like one might expect a cave dwelling to be furnished in Greece. But they are air-conditioned and nicely equipped bath wise. I believe every room has a terrace (mostly shared) to while away any spare time you have as you stare out into the caldera, sunset or any other time.

Mar 8th, 2001, 05:49 PM
Jaime

Patrick,
We are looking for honeymoon accomodations on Santorini, beginning on 5/22/01. We can spend up to $125/nite... would you choose Loucas again? Were there any other places you would have chosen in our price range? Were there any private verandas at Loucas? THanks !!!
~~~ jaime & rick

Mar 8th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Patrick

I'd definitely stay there again. Most of the verandas are shared by two or three rooms, not sure if any of them are not shared. Since I've only stayed there, I couldn't recommend any other place, but from what I saw, I sure didn't see any other place that I thought I'd rather stay.

Mar 19th, 2001, 04:39 PM
rafael

I agree, go there! The view is fantastic and now they have a marvelous swimming pool too!