Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Art Lovers in Berlin...Kaspar David Friedrich question

Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone know where I can see paintings by Kaspar David Friedrich in Berlin or Vienna?

It seems to be I've seen something about his paintings in Charlottenburg, but I'm not sure. I've become pretty much museumed out in the past 45 years of traveling, but I'd even brave yet another museum to see his paintings.
Aug 23rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
yk

Based on what I've read, most of his paintings un Berlin are at the Alte Nationalgalerie on Museumsinsel.
http://www.smb.museum/smb/sammlungen...en&objectId=17

3rd floor exhibition
[snip]

Two rooms on the top floor of the Alte Nationalgalerie offer space for the jewels of Romanticism. Paintings by Caspar David Friedrich from all phases of his artistic career illustrate the development of the great master of German Romantic art.
Aug 24th, 2009, 08:51 AM

I went to the Alte Nationalgalerie specifically to see the Friedrichs and have to say I was somewhat disappointed. There were only a couple of his paintings, and the only one I really enjoyed was Abbey Among Oak Trees.

I also understand that there are three Friedrichs at the Belvedere in Vienna, but I did not have time to visit them. See www.belvedere.at.

I have also seen one of his paintings at the Neue Pinakothek in Munich, Reisengebirge Landscape with Rising Fog.
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. I'll be in Vienna at the end of my trip but wasn't planning on going to the Belvedere again. Since there are Friedrichs there, I'll go again.

I'll also go to the Alte Nationalgalerie, of course, despite being museumed out. I've seen slides of some intriguing paintings by him, and I'd love to see the real thing.
Aug 24th, 2009, 10:57 AM
yk

Hi Peg,

You may enjoy this: http://www.jonas-kaufmann.com/
Click on the "WATCH TEASER VIDEO" in the top left corner.

That painting is in Hamburg, I believe.
Aug 24th, 2009, 11:02 AM

In case you're in Berlin in the time frame 9 Oct 2009 - 10 Jan 2010 definitely have a look at the special exhibit in the Alte Nationalgalerie on Caspar David Friedrich's fellow Carl Gustav Carus. This exhibit is currently on display in Dresden (it's a co-operation between Dresden's State Art Collections and Berlin's Alte Natinalgalerie). I saw it and thought it was fantastic. A few pics of Friedrich are also to see. But Carus ... wow, what a guy. Here's the link for Dresden:
http://www.skd-dresden.de/en/ausstel..._und_Idee.html

I.
Aug 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM

yk - yep, nice cover. But I was soooo disappointed by the Kaufmann's singing. Don't buy it. He went backwards.

Yes, the picture is in Hamburg's Kunsthalle. "Der Wanderer über dem Nebelmeer" Two other's in the booklet are in Dresden. One is in Schloss Charlottenburg I think.