Reload this Page >

Art in French Riviera

Search

Art in French Riviera

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:32 AM
Alex

Art in French Riviera

I am traveling to Cannes and Monaco in 10 days for the film festival and race. I paint in Acrylic on canvas....does anyone know of any galleries along the coastal cities there that would take in a newcomer to display/sell a few pieces of art????

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:33 AM
x

Before recommending can we know what galleries currently show your work?

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Alex

I started painting after an accident one year ago. After a complete remodel of my home there is not a wall that is not covered. My decorator and all others are the ones pushing me to head to the galleries...they all think my works are quite good. I will be contacting some here in US when I return but was advised (very aggressively) to take the time in France, extend my trip, paint with some artists there and see about the galleries. What I am specifically looking for are a few that would view the photos of my work (professionally taken last week) and 'allow' me to paint a piece for them and if they like it..possibly allow for display and then...????

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:16 AM
Marcus

I will send along list of galleries to your email. I did this same thing last summer as I was also a budding new artist. Some galleries will not see you if don't have the 'pedigree resume' (perhaps like the person with the last response) but other galleries will absolutely be open to seeing new artist work. Think about it...if you had to have a resume to show your art (or for anyone to recommend galleries and...ANONYMOUSLY!) then how would new art and new artist ever reach the public????? You are going at the perfect time as the riviera will be littered with people to view...although you should go earlier to get set up. One recommendation....make sure the photos of your current works are PERFECT. even though you say they are taken professionally, look at each and ask if they truly capture your work. If not, retake them. These are all the galleries have to go on before they ask you to paint something. Good luck to you. Go early, get there and get painting before the festival and before the race, get some work out there...have it ready for when the crowds arrive and most importantly, paint with, study with, WATCH as many different artist as possible while you are there. This will be the most exciting time of your life as a new artist. When I get back, I will email to you the names of some of the galleries that were helpful and open to seeing/displaying my work WITHOUT A RESUME!!!!

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:24 AM
not the negative

I agree with marcus. Who were these people that were acting on behalf of the entire gallery population????? You have to have a showing before you can have a showing? These people don't help the art world. Get there as soon as you can. Foster the relationships, paint, paint, paint, paint, paint, etc. with as many artists as possible! Show up everyday to the galleries! Someone will display your art if you truly have talent. It is for them to decide. Please post your experience for us after your return. Don't let the first response intimidate you. All beginning artist go through this. All we needed was one person to say Okay. Good luck to you.

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 10:36 AM
beth anderson

Alex!<BR><BR>nothing ventured, nothing gained - that's my motto! (well, that and carpe diem - sounds like you have both)<BR><BR>I admire your initiative. let us know how it all turns out for you. if you have taken pics and want to scan them, feel free to send me some pics to my email.<BR><BR>have fun!<BR><BR>beth

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 11:23 AM
Alex

Dear Marcus, Not Negative and Beth. Thanks! Have to admit, after the first response I was very intimidated and then your emails made me realize that this is EXACTLY how artists get started. Thanks for all your support and Beth, soon as I get them scanned, I would love to show them to you. Painting two more before I go, the concepts came to me at 3 in the morning last night. Will forward those as well. Again...thanks to all. I just want to paint. Didn't know my ancestory had to be from the blue bloods of art! Was Pollack???????? ha ha

Old Apr 29th, 2002, 02:32 PM
woofman

i've seen it and know there is a diamond in the rough just waiting to be polished. you must be nervous and excited all at once. i'll probably have to come over just to keep you calm. what a great opportunity. ily&aw.