Arriving late Venice..where to eat?

Jul 31st, 2007, 09:41 PM
Original Poster

Arriving late Venice..where to eat?

We will be arriving in Venice via MyAir, scheduled to arrive 9pm. (I'm not sure which airport this is..I understand there are two?) (This will be a weeknight in October.)

I've read that restaurants in Venice do not stay open late. If we arrive on time, should we try to eat at the airport? Are there places to pick up quick bite there? How long of a trip is it from the airport to Venice proper? (WE are staying at hotel that says 5 mts from Rialto bridge.)

So, if we can get to Rialto in time, would appreciate recommendation for someplace close. Pizza is probably fine. I don't think we'll want to spend much time eating that late, but will need to just have a quick bite.

Thanks, all.

Paula

PS If you've the knowledge, we kind of have the same problem in Rome. We will be arriving Termini around 8:30pm, will need to check a bag at left-luggage. Our hotel is only .8 miles (toward heart of Rome & Trevi) from Termini. Should we take a taxi or walk? Is it safe to walk after dark in that neighborhood? W/luggage? If we presume that we will be checked in to hotel and ready to head back out for dinner at 9:15-ish, can someone recommend place close to hotel? Hotel website says we are two blocks north of Piazza Venezia and the Quirinale is one block west. I also think I've read that we should have no problem eating this late in Rome,yes?
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:19 AM

Take a taxi from Termini. And your hotel should have no trouble directing you to someplace nearby that can acoommodate you for dinner. If you end up arriving into town very late because of delays, Lo Zozzone, a marvelous pizzeria serving pizza bianca, stays open all night. It's off the Piazza Navona.

It's true that Venetian restos tend to close up early because Venezia is dominated by non-Italian tourists who want to eat dinner far earlier than most Italians do. However, you should be able to find something. Why not e-mail your hotel and ask them?

I wouldn't eat at the airport, but I would definitely make sure you have some snacks with you. How long it takes you to get from the airport to your hotel depends on what kind of transportatio you pick, and how badly you get lost trying to find your hotel.

If you haven't eaten by the time you get to the Rialto bridge and you see someplace open, why not have one of you sit down at a the restaurant while the other finds the hotel?
Aug 1st, 2007, 01:24 AM

By the way, do you really need to check luggage at Termini? The left luggage room is rather hard to find and while it may not have the lines it usually does at the hour you are arriving, it's going to slow you down (especially if you are picking it up during daytime). Italian trains are not known for their punctuality, and if you combine that with a trip to Left Luggage, you may be optimistic in thinking you are going to be at your hotel at 9:15. Could happen, but might not. Still you should be able to get served dinner at 10pm, provided you are not coming in on a Sunday or Monday.
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:09 AM
Rd

Have been in a similar situation, ate at the railway station restaurant. Not five star quisine but inexpensive and good enough for the evening.
Aug 1st, 2007, 03:40 AM
ira

Hi S,

MyAir flies into Marco Polo (VCE).

There are restaurants at VCE, but I don't know how late they stay open.

I suggest packing a picnic before you leave for Venice.

Ditto on your flight to Rome.

Aug 1st, 2007, 04:48 AM

Where are you arriving in Venice from, sarge56 ? Could you eat at your departure airport ? A word of warning, though, if it's a domestic flight. We had a late flight last month from Naples to Venice and decided to eat a light supper at Naples airport as we remembered a not-too-bad place airside. However it turned out that must have been in the international departures area, and the domestic departures area basically just had a snack bar selling sandwiches. Luckily we'd had a main meal at lunchtime, so that's what I'd suggest for you - eat a good lunch & then plan to have a sandwich and a drink while waiting for your flight. When you arrive in Venice it would be nicer to be able to relax and enjoy the ambience, rather than needing to rush & worried about finding aomewhere to eat, wouldn't it ?

BTW our flight was delayed, in the event, making us miss the last Alilaguna boat & so we didn't actually get to our hotel until 0145 - so were definitely glad we weren't hungry !

fall06 : "It's true that Venetian restos tend to close up early because Venezia is dominated by non-Italian tourists who want to eat dinner far earlier than most Italians do."

Not sure about that - it doesn't apply in other big tourist centres like Rome. I think a major factor is because the staff can't afford to live in the city and need to leave in time to get transport home.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:34 AM

That may be, caroline. I hand't thought of that.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:45 AM

Sarge, what is the name of your hotel in both Rome and Venice? I think you would be a short cab ride from Piazza del Popolo (based on what you've described) and there are a lot of restaurants nearby. I could name a few for you.

From Venice I'd take a water taxi which will still take a half an hour or so. You will be very lucky to get to your hotel by 10 PM (given deplaning, luggage, etc.)

Aug 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM

Paula, I don't know what side of the Rialto Bridge you will be on, but you could head to the fish market area and the Ruga Rialto. There are a number of bars there that are open late, and you can get a snack and a drink.

Ae Oche Pizzeria is open until midnight. They are on Calle della Tintor in Santa Croce, which is pretty close to the Rialto area - if you don't get lost!

In San Marco, just down from the Rialto Bridge, there is a restaurant that serves very late called Le Bistrot de Venise. The restaurant is pricey but I think you might be able to order lightly in the wine bar - they are very friendly, you could email them and ask.
http://www.bistrotdevenise.com/

Finally, if you arrive very late and are really starving, you could always go to Bacaro Jazz. It's kind of a crazy place, a bit overpriced and definitely filled with tourists - but they are open until 3 AM and you should be able to get something to eat. It's just up from the Rialto Bridge on the San Marco side - from the bridge, go left, and you'll see a place with flashing lights on the right hand side of the street. That is Bacaro Jazz.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Y'all are awesome!!

fall06 <<By the way, do you really need to check luggage at Termini?>>
Well, if we're going to take a taxi, no. It's just that we are arriving by train from Florence, and that is where we will have picked up our wine/olive oil/balsamic vinegar for taking home. Since those will all be packed in one bag, we were hoping to just leave it. Plus, our hotel in Rome has NO elevator and is 30 steps up to 1st floor lobby.) But since we're now going to taxi to hotel, we'll deal with it and just drag it up the stairs!
<<Still you should be able to get served dinner at 10pm, provided you are not coming in on a Sunday or Monday>>
Of course, we're arriving on a Monday night. Is their SUN/MON like our SAT/SUN?

ira <<I suggest packing a picnic before you leave for Venice>>
thanks for the info on Marco Polo. And packing a good snack, or eating right before we board is probably the thing we will do now.

Caroline <<Where are you arriving in Venice from, sarge56 ? Could you eat at your departure airport ?>>
We are departing from Paris Orly, scheduled 7:20pm. The problem with trying to have a big (full) meal before departing is that we've been told we need to be there 2 hrs before flight. So, it's airport food or nothin'. Plus, I don't think I'd be comfortable having a big meal right before flying. So the plan now seems to eat a small sandwich/snack before airport arrival and then find a spot open in Venice proper.

flygirl <<what is the name of your hotel in both Rome and Venice? I think you would be a short cab ride from Piazza del Popolo>
We are staying at Corte 1321 B&B in Venice and Hotel Giardino in Rome. Thanks for the info re Piazza del Popolo. Since we'll have rested pretty much on the train, we would love to have a real "Italian" dinner that night where we can linger over our wine for an hour or two. THOUGH, I have been reading SusanP's thread about the Limencello being cold at Cafe Baroco in the Piazza Navona! Hahahha. We definitely want to experience that either Monday or Tuesday night (our only 2nights in Rome). And thanks for info on water taxi!

rialtogirl <<Ae Oche Pizzeria is open until midnight>>
I was just reading a post about this being a highly-recommended place! So glad to know they are open late! thx!
<<if you arrive very late and are really starving, you could always go to Bacaro Jazz> Depending on energy level..this sounds like JUST the place my 29-year-old daughter will want to head to! hahaha (She says we are definitely going to Harry's Bar for a drink. I can't seem to convince her that the only reason to go there is to SAY you've been there! And that there are for more interesting places we need to explore [read: DRINK AT]in Venice in our short 2-night stay! haha

THANKS!!! I LOVE YOUS GUYS!!!

Paula

Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:12 AM

Paula,

Your hotel in Roma might let you leave your bag downstairs, although some hotels wouldn't have enough space. With a little bit of research, you should be able to come up with a restaurant near your hotel for a late meal on Monday night. E-mail the hotel or put up a post on Fodor's.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM

Paula - I meant have your main meal at *lunch*, then it won't matter if you can only get a sandwich at your departure airport !