Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Arriving in Treviso airport in October--where to stay Treviso or Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/arriving-in-treviso-airport-in-october-where-to-stay-treviso-or-venice-780429/)

kesnow Apr 21st, 2009 12:45 PM

Arriving in Treviso airport in October--where to stay Treviso or Venice?

My friend and I will be arriving at Treviso airport on Oct 17 (via Ryanair from Frankfurt). We'll be staying in Venice/Treviso for 3 nights and then departing from Treviso (Ryanair) on the 20th to Dublin. We'd probably like to spend most of the 2/3 days on Venice Island, however, hotels seem quite pricey there. Does anyone have any suggestions of "how you did it or how we should do it?" If we stay in cheaper Treviso area is it expensive and timely to get to Venice everyday? Does anyone know of any hotels convenient to the Treviso airport that you can recommend which would also be convenient to a train/bus station to us to get to the city center everyday? Any ideas of how much it would cost getting into Venice daily from Treviso by bus, water bus, train etc? We don't mind commuting into the city center everyday as that has usually been our method of travelling through Europe in the past (saving money by staying outside the city center and commuting 20-30 min into city daily by train/bus). Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Also, is the weather pretty nice/comfortable in October? I assume it is cooling off a little by this time.

J62 Apr 21st, 2009 01:29 PM

No doubt in my mind. Venice is unlike no other place on earth. You are visiting Venice - stay in Venice.

Venice is alive from dawn until late in the night, and if you stay outside of town you only see the Venice that the day trippers see - and the crowds they bring. The freedom to come and go from your room is priceless, even if it's just to freshen up or rest a bit before dinner.

I used an apartment last time there & it worked great for a family of 4 for 4 nights. That option may not be as cost effective for 2 people & fewer nights.

annhig Apr 21st, 2009 01:58 PM

hi kesnow,

if you search this forum, you'll find a number of recommendations for hotels/pensions/apartments in venice for under €100 per night per room.

i would definitely opt to stay in venice itself, however much cheaper it is outside - not only will it cost you to keep going backwards and forwards, but you will resent bitterly the time it takes too. you can cut the cost while you are there by staying in an apartment, cooking at least one meal a day indoors [as well as your breakfast] and doing some research about eating at the sort of places that Venitians eat.

after all, how many times are you going to go to Venice? - is it really worth economising so much for 2-3 nights of your life?

regards, ann

kesnow Apr 21st, 2009 02:29 PM

Thank you; I was kinda thinking that way, too, simply because it IS Venice and it's only a few nights. I just needed someone to tell me that! I was in Venice last year, but only a day trip (on a whim) from Florence. I did find on one of the forums about a site eurocheapo.com. Prices are REALLY reaonable there...assuming it's legit! Thanks for the kind persuassion J62 and annhig--think that's what I needed to hear~
Kyleen

On another note, anyone have any suggestions/recommendations on how to get from the Treviso airport into Venice and visa versa? We arrive at Treviso at 1720 hours.

flanneruk Apr 21st, 2009 02:36 PM

Here's the honest truth about Venice.

Its works of art and buildings really aren't that amazing. There's no shortage in Europe of nice old buildings - and Venice's aren't that much nicer than Florence's, or Cambridge's, or even those in my street.

What's simply unbelievable about Venice is the sense of living - if only for a couple of days - among them. Commuting into Venice from outside is a truly doolally waste of money. What you then see is just another overcrowded, traffic-free, late medieval city. Not that different from dozens of others. But far, far more crowded than Siena or Oxford.

Living in it, though, is totally discomboobulating. Nothing you've ever experienced (and I've spent years living in a medieval city) can equip you for walking at night along Venice's streets.

Your question is a total no-brainer. Commuting into Venice from Treviso is as ghastly an idea as listening to George Bush mangle English.

J62 Apr 21st, 2009 03:59 PM

Here's the link to the bus service from Treviso airport to Venice.

http://www.atvo.it/index.php?lang=en

€6.00 one way or €10 round trip. Luggage is included and it goes in the storage compartment under the bus. Schedule says it takes 70minutes, with 2 stops in Mestre on the mainland before arriving in Venice Piazzale Roma. Bus trips are time to the actual arrival time of flights.

Guenmai Apr 22nd, 2009 05:39 AM

I just stayed in Treviso week before last. One of my best American friends has moved there to his condo to live permanently. He's been going back and forth for a decade.

A Parisian friend and I were invited to vacation there with him and his Italian wife. I loved Treviso and if I had to pick whether to stay in a hotel in Venice or Treviso, personally I'd stay in Treviso.

We took the train into Venice two days, in a row, out of the four days we were in Treviso and that was plenty of Venice for me. The trains go frequently, take 30 minutes, and the cost was the equivalent of less than US$5.00 round trip. After each of the two days in Venice, I was more than happy to return to Treviso. Happy Travels!

ira Apr 22nd, 2009 05:48 AM

Hi K,

I also suggest staying in Venice. It is especially lovely at night.

Eurocheapo is legit.

You might wish to consider http://www.alcampaniel.com/ and http://www.hotelbernardi.com/en/

((I))

zeppole Apr 22nd, 2009 05:52 AM

I actually laughed out loud when I read flanneruk's first line.

I'm still laughing!!!!

I haven't the slightest interest in living among the Venetians -- what's left of them! What you'll really be doing is living amongst the tourists -- including flanner!!!

If it wasn't for the buildings, you could stay in Treviso, for sure. You could stay home!

But stay in Venice. Commuting in is a drag.

zeppole Apr 22nd, 2009 05:54 AM

By the way, kesnow, I suspect Guenmai is the ONLY person in this thread who has ever stayed in Treviso, and perhaps even has been to Trevsio. Of course people are going to tell you to do what they did!

I have friends who were honeymooning and bailed on Venice in favor of Treviso. I'm dying to go -- and I'm not dying to go back to Venice, although I'm sure I will. For the art and architecture. Not the fellow tourists.

Guenmai Apr 22nd, 2009 06:54 AM

I'm just passing on my opinion, as we all are. I'm not trying to tell anyone to necessarily do what I did. I'm just stating what I did and my personal preference. Happy Travels!

zeppole Apr 22nd, 2009 06:58 AM

guenmai,

My comment was directed at other posters, not you. The adamant advice to stay in Venice over Treviso is not based on any direct experience of even visiting Treviso, as far as I can tell, and surely if someone had stayed in both places, they would have said so.

The only people I personally know who have stayed in both places preferred Treviso.

Guenmai Apr 22nd, 2009 07:00 AM

We had absolutely no problem commuting in from Treviso. I rather enjoyed it and didn't find it a waste of time at all. But, to each his own. Happy Travels!

zeppole Apr 22nd, 2009 07:05 AM

My problems commuting from Mestre during a holiday weekend included thick crushes of people on the train -- but if one were getting on in Treviso, finding a seat is probably not a problem, even in high summer -- and having to pay attention to the evening schedule so we didn't end up waiting a long time for a train at night. I also didn't necessarily like having to go all the way back to the station after dinner.

But I am dying to see Treviso.

zoecat Apr 22nd, 2009 08:34 AM

My opinion on staying in Treviso or Venice-

I've stayed in Treviso and Venice. There is no comparison in experience. Treviso is a nice city and worth a visit but Venice is incredible. Because of the crowds I do try to visit Venice in the off season (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb, March) but even in May, September and Oct, despite the crowds, it was wonderful and prefered over Treviso.

kelliebellie Apr 22nd, 2009 08:54 AM

Ryanair used to have their own bus that would take you for like 10 euros. I don't know if they still have it. Check their website. It was waiting for us when we got off the plane.

Gwendolynn Apr 22nd, 2009 02:35 PM

Yes , I've stayed in both. Treviso was nice.... but I wouldn't chose it over Venice for such a short stay. My husband left his camera bag at the Treviso hotel and we had to backtrack from Venice to pick it up. That was enough commuting for me! (And it was by auto.)

tedgale Apr 22nd, 2009 03:42 PM

I was in both Treviso and Venice last month.

I can't believe that anyone would even put the 2 places in the same category or class.

Treviso is a pleasant but unremarkable small city, IMO. Venice is an incomparable gem of architecture, diminished only by the presence of so many tourists.

OTOH You CAN get away -- clean away -- from the Venice tourists and still be in areas of rhapsodic beauty

torcello Apr 22nd, 2009 04:57 PM

Hi- Don't even think twice about it - find a way to stay in Venice. Don't think about 'commuting' back and forth. Like should I stay in Newark and commute to Manhattan for a 2 day vacation....NO!!!
We often go there that time of year, and you can get some really beautiful weather, but sometimes the rain as well. It is a good time to go. Enjoy your stay (IN VENICE!!)

rialtogrl Apr 22nd, 2009 05:45 PM

kesnow, you might explore renting an apartment in Venice instead of a hotel - they are a better deal, and you will get more room. Some will rent for three nights and this one has some really good deals:

www.veniceapartments.org

It might be muggy and rainy in October, but I don't think it will be too hot.