Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Arriving in Rome, staying in Naples (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/arriving-in-rome-staying-in-naples-546961/)

wwoolson Jul 26th, 2005 08:20 AM

Arriving in Rome, staying in Naples

We will be arriving in Rome on Monday, 8/8 at around 11:10 AM. We need to get to Naples.

What's the ebst way to get there, I assume the train? How far is the train station from teh airport and if it's far what's the best way to get there?

Thank you in advance...

Scullysioux Jul 26th, 2005 08:30 AM

There is a train that runs from the airport in Rome to the main train station. From there you can catch a train to Naples. I believe it takes about 30 mins. to get to the main train station from the airport.

wwoolson Jul 26th, 2005 08:46 AM

Would it better less hectic to take a taxi or limo to the main train station? I assume the 4-day rail pass is good on this?

ellenem Jul 26th, 2005 08:58 AM

I think the train is just as easy as a taxi, unless you're really pressed for time. Buy your tickets for the entire trip at the airport station. Take the Leonardo Express to Termini. Switch to your Naples train (almost hourly departures).

I'm not sure that a rail pass covers the airport train. However, a rail pass is rarely worthwhile in Italy, especially over these two short distances. What other routes will you be traveling?

wwoolson Jul 26th, 2005 09:40 AM

Well, we'll be in Italy for 21 days, 7 in Naples and 14 up north with family near Venice. We plan to go to/from Naples to Rome nad points south and then from Naples to Venice and then from Venice to Milan.

ellenem Jul 26th, 2005 11:59 AM

Have you input your itinerary at railsaver.com and checked "only if it saves me money" to verify a pass is necessary? It might not be cheaper than point-to-oint tickets.

For example, last October I made these trips:

Rome to Florence (1.5 hours)
Florence to Rome (1.5 hour)
Rome to Cesena (Romagna) via Bologna (3.5 hours)
Cesena to Molfetta (Puglia) (6 hours)
Molfetta to Rome (4 hours)
Most of these on ES, 2nd class. Also some local trains about 30 min for daytrips a few times.

I checked before traveling and it was still cheaper to buy point-to-point tickets than to get a railpass. It might not be true for you, but I just wanted to make sure you checked before spending too much money on tickets.

ira Jul 26th, 2005 12:10 PM

Hi ww,

As noted, enter your itinerary at www.railsaver.com and click "only if it saves money" to see if a railpass is necessary.

Train schedules, prices and tickets are at www.trenitalia.com.

You want Fiumicino Airport to Rome TE.

((I))

wwoolson Jul 27th, 2005 04:48 AM

Thanks, so is it better to buy the point-to-point tickets locally, or ahead of time?

ellenem Jul 27th, 2005 06:13 AM

I always buy my tickets in Italy. Most tickets you could be purchased just before getting on the train.

I would buy tickets a few days ahead if I was traveling a popular route on a Friday, Sunday, or holiday when many weekend vacationers would be traveling as well. A reserved seat is included in the price of an ES ticket. You can reserve a seat on IC trains for an extra fee--otherwise IC and all other trains (R, D) are open seating, first come-first seated, so a ticket for that destination gets you a seat on any similar train to that destination.

If you know your travel plans, you can buy tickets for all your trips when you make your first ticket purchase.

For your arrival on 8/8, I would wait to purchase your Naples tickets. On arriving, you will know which train you can actually catch. There are virtually hourly departures from Roma Termini to Naples.

ira Jul 27th, 2005 06:48 AM

Hi ww,

If you go to www.trenitalia.com you can buy all of your tickets online.

You have to register and get a password.

I suggest leaving 3 hours after your scheduled arrival at FCO for your train from Rome to Naples.

You could also buy all of your tickets at the train station in FCO, if they are not busy.

You can get the rest of your tickets after you arrive in Naples.

((I))

SRS Jul 27th, 2005 06:48 AM

wwoolson,

I think if you know exactly when you want to ride a train before you leave, I would buy it online. But if you would like some flexibility, then I would wait.

Sally

Waldo Jul 27th, 2005 05:16 PM

For the past ten years, I've taken a USAIR bus from the Rome air terminal to Naples. The bus went from the Rome airport to any one of seven locations in Naples, including Piazza Garibaldi. It was a joyful ride in an air conditioned bus, and never crowded. The trip cost $16.00US. I haven't gone yet this year, so I don't know if the bus is running, keeping in mind USAIR's problems. I would call USAIR International and ask if the bus still runs.

wwoolson Jul 28th, 2005 03:06 AM

I called USAirways and they told me it was cancelled Oct. 02 :(