Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Arriving in Paris on Easter Sunday April 16th problems with closings? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/arriving-in-paris-on-easter-sunday-april-16th-problems-with-closings-585337/)

kinseykin1 Jan 26th, 2006 09:22 AM

Arriving in Paris on Easter Sunday April 16th problems with closings?

I'm traveling to Paris in April and we are arriving the morning of Easter APril 16th , will museums,monuments, restaurants, cafes be open? I didn't really think about this problem when we booked. I'm going to have two children 11&6 and a husband and three other adults with us, we are concerned with finding something to do and somewhere to eat for the holiday.

lucygirl Jan 26th, 2006 09:43 AM

kinsey,

I was in Paris over Easter of 2004--you shoulnd't have any problem. We not only ate at the cafes of our choice, we went to the Louvre as well. I noticed nothing different from the rest of our days there except maybe Easter weekend itself was fairly busy all around.

Have fun!

HappyCheesehead Jan 26th, 2006 10:24 AM

Hi Kinseykin1 - glad you posted this and will also watch for answers. We arrive the day before you. Easter Monday is a holiday also, I think, hopefully that will also pretty much be a "business as usual" day.

StCirq Jan 26th, 2006 10:27 AM

Did you actually visit the Louvre on Easter, lucygirl? Because it's been closed every Easter I've been there (along with all the other museums) and every guidebook I own says it's closed on public holidays, of which Easter is a major one.

I was in Paris on Easter and Easter Monday in 2004, and it was very, very quiet. There were a few stores open here and there on Easter Monday (not on Easter), and a few cafés and restaurants open, but there was a very noticeable closed-for-the-holiday feel to most of the city.

Bigal Jan 26th, 2006 10:33 AM

I would think your main problem is getting in to select places for that week. I would make reservations for such places before you leave the
states.An entourage of 7 is I wouldn't worry about not being ablenot easy even under normal conditions.If you want to see a special museum exhibit that would require tickets I would certainly use your computor to buy them.

There is no worry that you wont find things to do or places to eat but the top tourist places most certainly will have lines.

You should take advantage of your hotel staff to help you out even by email.

tcreath Jan 26th, 2006 10:40 AM

We weren't in Paris on Easter but we landed in London on Easter a few years ago and, like StCirq said, it was very quite. Museums and stores were closed, as were many restaurants. We just used the time to stroll around the city and get ourselves acclimated.

Tracy

kinseykin1 Jan 26th, 2006 10:52 AM

on my this scares me a little cause I just wanted to go leisurely and discover places and things now I have to make reservations. I will use the hotel staff to the best of my abbility, we're staying at the Hotel Lutetia Paris. I hope they have a good concierge there.

sandykins Jan 26th, 2006 11:09 AM

I wouldn't worry, Kinseykin. There's a lot to do in Paris on Easter Sunday (I'll be there then, too).

The Musée d'Orsay's website (www.musee-orsay.fr) specifically states that the museum is open Easter Sunday.

So does the Musée Jacquemart-André's website (www.musee-jacquemart-andre.com).

I believe the Chateau de Fontainebleau is open on Easter Sunday, too, and that's what I've planned we will see that day.

Also, lots of cafés and brasseries are open all week long, including Easter Sunday, especially in the 3rd arrondissment, which has a sizeable Jewish population.

See? We'll have lots to keep us busy!

kinseykin1 Jan 26th, 2006 11:12 AM

thanks sandykins, maybe we can meet up or something, I have a 11 and 6 yr old daughters. I'm staying at the Hotel Lutetia.

lucygirl Jan 26th, 2006 11:21 AM

StCirq, yes I reallu was there Easter Sun--we went for a stroll and were surprised to see it open. Check out there website--they say closed for some holidays but don't specify which.

Kinsey, I disagree with some of the others...I really didn't find paris quiet at all. Just the opposite in fact.

Seriously don't worry too much about reservations etc (unless you have something special in mind). Maybe some (or a lot) of stores are closed but don't worry about cafes and most touristy places.

sandykins Jan 26th, 2006 11:47 AM

Kinseykin, I have a 9yo boy and a 5yo girl and was going to see whether you wished to meet in the Jardin du Luxembourg on Saturday, but I now see you said you didn't arrive until Easter Sunday. Unfortunately, we have to fly home on Easter Monday; our stay will be from April 8 to 17.

But, as I said on another thread in which you asked about the Hotel Lutétia, the Lutétia is just wonderful. I know you'll love it. It's my fave hotel in Paris and I would stay there if I could afford it with these two kids, but you know I have to save up for that Taillevent dinner! ;-)

sandykins Jan 26th, 2006 11:50 AM

Wait, Kinseykin, you wouldn't happen to be going to the Chateau de Fontainebleau the day of arrival, would you? I guess not. But if you are, let me know, and we can meet there!

StCirq Jan 26th, 2006 11:54 AM

Hi, lucygirl:

I did check the French Louvre website and it does specifically omit Easter from the public holidays it's closed, so I guess it is open! I think that schedule may have changed in recent years, but it's good to know one can spend part of Easter there.

I do maintain that Paris was really very quiet on Easter Sunday - cafés and some restaurants were open, but there was very little traffic and not a lot of people out on the streets.

Christina Jan 26th, 2006 12:14 PM

I've been to the Louvre on several public holidays -- no, it is NOT closed on every public holiday. I guess you forgot, but we discussed this before, St Cirq and you found out your Eyewitness guide was wrong.

StCirq Jan 26th, 2006 12:21 PM

No,I didn't forget, Christina. I don't rely on the Eyewitness Guide for openings and closings. I have a number of Paris guidebooks, including a Michelin Green Guide, that say the Louvre is closed all public holidays.

kinseykin1 Jan 26th, 2006 12:26 PM

Wait, Kinseykin, you wouldn't happen to be going to the Chateau de Fontainebleau the day of arrival, would you? I guess not. But if you are, let me know, and we can meet there!

Listen we can we haven't really planned anything yet, I'd be interested in trying to meet there if you'd like.

sandykins Jan 26th, 2006 01:58 PM

Kinseykin (are we kin? ;-)), I would think a day-trip to Chateau de Fontainebleau might be a bit much for your day of arrival (Jet lag? Checking into the hotel?), but only you can know whether that would be a good plan for your family. Meeting in the Jardin du Luxembourg would be ideal if it were not Easter Sunday: I doubt any Parisians would be in the park that day, and the place might be a bit deserted. Am I right? Anyone know?

kinseykin1 Jan 27th, 2006 08:34 AM

Yeah, sandykins, I agree now that you say that, I am closer to the Jardin du Luxembourg for that day, ah well I guess we can see, I really was hoping to hook up with you to see where you had been and how you made out with your kids in tow. But we can catch up after your trip. Thanks for all your advise though. I love this forum, it is so imformative and sometimes the responses are so funny, See my post about frog legs in paris, so of the responses are too funny!! anyway have a good trip and I'm sure i'll be talking to ya.

Scarlett Jan 27th, 2006 08:44 AM

The first time we were ever in Paris was over Easter weekend. The Louvre was closed. Totally closed.
Many cafes and most shops were closed.
We walked all over town and found a few things on the Left Bank open, I imagine more would be open in the Marais. For that one day, you will just have to take what you can get, be prepared. The rest of the days, everything is back to normal.
Are you staying in a Hotel? The desk can direct you to the restaurants that are open.
Will your little boy be interested in the frogs legs too :)

sandykins Jan 27th, 2006 08:49 AM

Kinseykin, I love your thread on frogs' legs. It's great that you have children who are adventurous eaters; you should encourage them to develop their palate, even if you have to hunt down the frogs yourself!

I can't wait to hear all about your trip when you come back. In the meantime, I hope you keep posting your questions to this forum -- I am learning so much!

Je vous souhaite un très bon séjour à Paris!