Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving in London and Heading to Cambridge -- advice

Oct 24th, 2004, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are arriving in London around 9am on a Monday 11/22, and taking the bus to Cambridge. We are planning to spend Monday and Tuesday nights in Cambridge with my cousin who lives on campus, before heading back to London for 4 nights. My question is this: We would like to do the hop-on hop-off tour in London before we head to Cambridge. This will allow us to get a quick overview of the major sites and buildings, before delving deeper when we return later in the week. How could we make all of this work with our luggage? Do we leave the airport, head to the bus station, buy our tickets for later that afternoon and then leave our luggage there in some sort of storage? If you have any ideas or suggestions on how we can make this work, I would appreciate it.
Oct 24th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Which airport?

And are you planning to get the bus from the airport to Cambridge or from Central London to Cambridge?
Oct 24th, 2004, 11:39 AM

The hop on/hop off buses are good for seeing the sights first up, and also for using them like a taxi to each sight. So with 4 days at the end of your Cambridge trip, you will have plenty of time to see the main sights using the hop on/hop off bus on the first day.
As for the trip to Cambridge, why use a bus? the train to Cambridge is much quicker, allowing you more time in Cambridge. Not far from Cambridge by rental car is the village of Lavenham, if you get a chance to see this medieval village, go for it, it is well worth it.
Oct 24th, 2004, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

We are flying into Heathrow. I wanted to get your thoughts on what would be the best way to do this, as we've never traveled to London before.

Tropo, good point about train vs. bus. We could definitely take the train if you think it is better.

So, upon arrival, should we go directly from the airport to the train station, buy our tickets for later in the afternoon, store our luggage there (can this be done?), and then take the hop-on hop-off tour?

Thanks in advance for your help in figuring this out.
Oct 24th, 2004, 03:46 PM
kjt

The website for Liverpool Street station - which is where you want to go in order to take the train to Cambridge is http://www.networkrail.co.uk/Station...t/Default.aspx
It's got details about left luggage facilities and contact details for if you have any queries. Liverpool Street is also on the circle line (the 'tube')so easy to get to most places you might want to go.
Oct 24th, 2004, 11:07 PM

I think the train service from Kings Cross to Cambridge is faster. Many tube lines go through Kings Cross.
Oct 25th, 2004, 02:26 AM

The easiest ways from Heathrow would normally be via Kings Cross, which you can reach on the Piccadilly Line direct - slow but no changes until Kings Cross.

However, the concourse area at Kings Cross is being rebuilt - I haven't been there in a while, but there are regular advisory notices encouraging people to avoid it if possible. It would be quicker and easier to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and the Circle Line from there to Liverpool St. Changing to the eastbound Circle Line at Paddington only takes you down a few steps. If I'm wrong about Kings Cross, the Circle Line stops there too.

www.thetrainline.com or www.nationalrail.co.uk for times and fares of trains.