Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Arriving from US then off to Malaga Spain

Arriving from US then off to Malaga Spain

Jun 2nd, 2005, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

Arriving from US then off to Malaga Spain

I pretty sure I know the answer to my question. But just want to verify with the traveling pros. We are landing in Paris at 11:10AM (Northwest Airlines -on a Sat in Oct.) Is it possible to get luggage and thru customs in time to catch an Air France plane to Malaga Spain that leave at 12:40PM. My common sense says NO and to book the 7:35PM flight. Also if we take the 7:35pm flight, is there some where to store luggage at the airport while we take a sneak peek at Paris before we return for our Paris portion of our trip? Thank you.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 01:47 AM

Your luggage should be checked all the way through to Malaga. You should not have to go through immigration or customs in France, as you are not staying in France. You will be in transit and will stay within the airport, in fact, you won’t go through immigration at all, but will stay behind the immigration area. The fact that you are flying two different airlines should not make a difference in baggage transfer. You should check with your airline, but I think it is most unlikely that you will have to deal with baggage, immigration and customs.

Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:09 AM

If you stay a few days in Andalusia you must see Granada and the Alhambra!One of the most spectacular palaces I've ever seen. It's only about one and a half hrs away from Malaga.Just take a bus from Malaga airport to the bus station in Malaga and then there are buses leaving for Granada every hour.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

I guess I did not make myself clear or I just don't know how airports work. Our ticket from the states is just a round trip ticket to and from Paris. Orignally we where going to do Paris first and then go visit nephew in Malaga taking the night train. But things have changed and we need to go to Malaga first. So now I am shopping for a ticket from Paris to Malaga. I assume that after we arrive in Paris we will have to go thru customs since our ticket from the States is just to Paris. After customs will then go to our next flight ( as if 3 days after arrival I decided to fly somewhere). Am I totally off base on this and could I actually not go thru customs until Malaga Spain. Sorry this is my first trip to Paris and with confusing travel arrangements (at least for me)that need to be made. Maybe my best bet is to get the help of a travel agent for this portion of our trip. Thanks you for your suggestions and help. Four months till our adventure begins, I cannot wait.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:27 PM
ira

Hi pine,

If you have to change from CDG2 to CDG1, it is unlikely that you will make the 12:40 plane.

Jun 3rd, 2005, 12:33 PM

With separate tickets, yes, allow time for custons, immigration, and baggage claim between flights. And then allow some more time just to be safe.

Even if you were on one ticket with your bag shecked through, you might need to allow for immigration at CDG. Since your flight originates outside the EU, the airport may channel all its passengers to immigration.
Either way, you would probably not face immigration in Malaga because you will arrive there on a flight from within the EU.
Since you will be flying on two major carriers that have interline baggage agreements, it wouldn't hurt to ask if you can check luggage through to Malaga when you giv it to NW. This would not work if one of the airlines was one of the no-frills upstarts, but it might in your scenario.
Jun 3rd, 2005, 02:04 PM

Well, Cicerone is seldom wrong, but both France and Spain are in Schengen, so the OP will go through France immigration at CDG; and the CDG-Malaga flight will be just like a domestic.

The immigration process at CDG is often very fast with no line.

1:30 for such a connection is tight, but it's not impossible. Northwest should use Terminal 2E, while AF to Malaga probably leaves from 2D. [According to today's flight information.]
Jun 21st, 2005, 10:32 AM

OK- I saw this and I would like to follow up. Cicerone, you say

"You will be in transit and will stay within the airport, in fact, you won’t go through immigration at all, but will stay behind the immigration area."

Surely you are not saying that one cannot leave the airport if one has a long layover?
Jun 22nd, 2005, 08:30 AM

If you have a long layover, you generally can leave the airport and then go back through immigration to board the next flight. That has been my experience at airports other than CDG, but I assume it would be the saem there. As pineisl is not actually staying in France, my point was that they may be deemded to be "in transit"

rkkwan, I know that France and Spain are both in Schengen, but can't say for sure whether the Air France flight would qualify. If the Air France flight is a continuation of a flight that did not originate in a Schengen country (say from Switzerland), then passengers would go through immigration and customs in Spain. Only Air France could give the definitive answer.
Jun 22nd, 2005, 09:50 AM

Cicerone - I don't see how Air France will operate a flight throuhg CDG, but keep everybody onboard outside Schengen. Makes absolutely no sense. So, they're not picking up passengers in Paris?

Maybe you have specific examples, but I cannot understand how and why Air France will operate something like that.

Search this Thread