Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Arriving CDG with 5 Big Suitcases ... Taxi problem? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/arriving-cdg-with-5-big-suitcases-taxi-problem-904180/)

Gekko Aug 27th, 2011 10:23 AM

Arriving CDG with 5 Big Suitcases ... Taxi problem?

My wife & I are spending two months in Paris and will arrive at CDG with five (5) large suitcases and the usual carry-ons. Typically we just jump in a taxi. <b>Will we find a taxi that can accommodate us and our luggage? </b>

If not, what are our options?

(Here in NYC we've reserved a Dial-7 minivan to take us to JFK.)

Thank you!

djkbooks Aug 27th, 2011 10:26 AM

There are plenty of mini-van taxis. Get a luggage cart. Just go to the queue, stand together with your bags, and the dispatcher or drivers are quite efficient with matching passengers and their bags with the next suitable vehicle available.

djkbooks Aug 27th, 2011 10:28 AM

PS There is a €1 charge for each bag after the first that weighs over 5kg, in addition to the metered fare. This is clearly posted in all taxis, but many think they're being cheated when the drivers asks for more than the amount on the meter.

Gekko Aug 27th, 2011 10:56 AM

Great! Thank you for that information!

kerouac Aug 27th, 2011 12:54 PM

The taxi drivers in the queue will just look at you and know if they can accommodate you or not.

joannay Aug 27th, 2011 01:43 PM

May I ask the question, why so much luggage? I've traveled for 6 months with a 21" bag and still ended up feeling like I had too much stuff. There are laundry facilities in Paris and you can buy what you need otherwise. Just wondering.

nytraveler Aug 27th, 2011 03:53 PM

Must admit that 5 large suitcases seems like an awful lot. I have done a month - incuding both business and vacation wardrobes - with 1 28" wheelie and 1 large size Sportsac as a carry-on and had plenty to wear. Wouldn;t it be much easier to do laundry/dry cleaning than hauling around everything that you own? Since you will be in one place that should be easy.

janisj Aug 27th, 2011 04:33 PM

Unless you are wearing unique outfits every day for all 60 days (and not wearing any garment twice) I can't even imagine taking 5 large suitcases. In fact for long stays, I often take even less 'stuff' since I'd be able to do laundry.

But in any case - there are taxis that can cope . . .

mztery Aug 27th, 2011 05:19 PM

yeah they have laundromats there you know....

avalon Aug 28th, 2011 12:13 AM

I don't think I have enough clothes in my closet ti fill even 3 large suitcases!

travelgourmet Aug 28th, 2011 01:29 AM

<i>yeah they have laundromats there you know....</i>

And I'm sure the OP loves hanging out at laundromats on vacation. Or handwashing their clothes in the bathroom sink. I don't like doing laundry at home, much less when away on vacation.

And who says the bags contain only clothes?

If one is taking taxis to and from the airport, then packing heavy is hardly any great burden.

CYESQ Aug 28th, 2011 01:52 AM

Why do so many of you love to editorialize about doing laundry on vacation or whether someone should take more than will fit in one 21" bag? Gekko asked about the difficulty in getting a taxi - he didn't ask for your opinions as to the amount of luggage they were taking. Most of the time I max out my own bag/weight restrictions and frankly I don't think it's anyone's concern.

avalon Aug 28th, 2011 01:57 AM

And I'm sure the OP loves hanging out at laundromats on vacation.

You don't hang out in the laundromat.you put the stuff in the washer and head out to the nearest cafe for coffee or wine if later in the day. , go back put clothes in dryer and do some neighorhood shopping or another drink while watching the world go by, one of the best pleasures in Paris!

avalon Aug 28th, 2011 01:59 AM

It is a great burden if your apt does not have an elevator! Or if you are planning going somewhere for a few days other than Staying in Paris

jaja Aug 28th, 2011 07:24 AM

What CYESQ said. None of our business what they take; if they want to pay for it, take the kitchen sink!

joannay Aug 28th, 2011 07:43 AM

I'd guess for 2 months the accommodation would be an apartment and most apartments seem to include washers. And if not, I've had some great conversations in laundromats, most recently in Dijon this past spring. But I digress. Often the trend among experienced travelers is to take less to minimize the struggle and no one was hurt by the question. But maybe it's a thing that is best learned by experience. Or, as so passionately pointed out, maybe it's none of our business. Very naughty us.

LSky Aug 28th, 2011 08:06 AM

The OP didn't say why they were spending 2 months in Paris or what was in the suitcases. To tell them to do laundry isn't well thought out advice, since no one except Gekko and TC knows what they're bringing to Paris.

joannay Aug 28th, 2011 08:37 AM

Mea maxima culpa.

nytraveler Aug 28th, 2011 10:04 AM

It's not necessary to do laundry at all. there are dry cleaners, many of whom also do laundry. I never wash anything on vacation - but have things washed to cleaned when necessary. Not cheap I grant you - but IMHO easier than 5 giant bodybags.

janisj Aug 28th, 2011 10:09 AM

The post was put on a public forum, so the public can post what ever comments they wish as long as they don't violate Fodors rules. There may be <i>good</i> reasons for 5 large suitcases plus carry ons. Who knows? But we can certainly comment about it.

I moved to England for 5 years, and didn't take (or own) 5 suitcases. I took two too-large bags to take what I thought I needed -- and didn't need half of it.