Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving by plane in Milan--what train to take to Venice?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 01:25 PM
Liz

People here have been very helpful about my Italy train questions. Now I have two more. <BR> <BR>I will buy a ticket and reserve a seat in the US for the Milan-Venice train (CIT tours was an incredibly helpful lead, thanks to whoever mentioned it). My plane lands in Milan at 11:40 a.m. What train do you think it would be "safe" to reserve a seat for (of course assuming the flight is more or less on time--it's Sabena)? 1pm? 2pm? I have forgotten how long it takes to get off a plane in a foreign country, go through customs, and collect luggage (we will probably have to check ours), and then we have to get to the Milan train station. <BR> <BR>Second question: what's the best way to get from Milan Malpensa to the train station? <BR> <BR>Thanks. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 02:21 PM
Leslie

I flew into Milan from the US in April and arrival and backage claim were very efficient. Didn't take more than about 20 minutes total. The fastest way into Milan is the Malpensa Express train which takes about 40 minutes, but it arrives into Cadorna Station and the train from Milan to Venice (which we took in reverse when we returned to Milan) goes in and out of Milan Centrale Station which means you have to cab it over to Centrale...Therefore, you might want to consider the Malpensa Shuttle which is a bus service that takes about 50 minutes and goes directly to Centrale. We are a family of four and so found it convenient and reasonable to take a cab at a cost of about $45 but if your a couple or solo, either the train or the shuttle would be cheaper. I wouldn't plan on the 1:00 pm train myself. 2:00 sounds reasonable if your flight arrives on time. As to which train to take, I think it is the IC train...but I found the Rick Steves website (www.ricksteves. com) or the Italy Online website (www.initaly.com) to be very helpful with advice on plane/train connections in Italy. On the latter site, you can look for 'Transportation' and connect both to the Malpensa Airport website (Info. on the Express and the Shuttle) and to the Ferrovie Italia website where you'll find train schedules. On the later just put in your dates and your approximate times - remember to use Italian place names such as Milano - Stazione Centrale to the Venezia - Statione Santa Lucia. Have fun.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Walter

Past Post: Author: Walter ([email protected]) <BR>Date: 4/09/2001, 3:47 am ET <BR>Message: This was from Terminal 1 and very easy, from clearing Customs <BR>after baggage claim to the ticket booth to the bus stop are all just a "stone's throw" from each other. Regards, Walter Author: Walter ([email protected]) Date: 03/29/2001, 05:18 pm ET If you decide on the bus it's very easy: After you clear customs and enter into the terminal, the door exits are all marked. Inside between exit 5 & 6 is a ticket counter with a sign above it "Airport 2000". The bus stop is outside between exits 4 & 5. So after you buy your tickets go outside thru exit 5 and turn left and 20M ahead is bus stop No.4. My bus did make 1 stop before the train station but you'll know the station, you pass under the tracks and turn right & stop alongside the (long) train station. I believe the ticket was only 8,000L which surprised me because in my planning notes I had ~13,000L and I started to worry that I bought the wrong ticket. It wasn't crowded when I took it earlier this month but I have read one post of a crowded pushy mob trying to board the bus. So have a Plan "B", peek outside if it's crowded go downstairs and take the train and a taxi (or Metro) to the (Centrale) station. <BR>p.s. Leslie the new www.trenitalia.com website (formerly www.fs-on-line.com but still the same site/URL now excepts Italian city names in both English & Italian. <BR>p.s.s. Liz, The way I understand it is a train ticket is good for 2 months from issue (it's on www.trenitalia's website) on any train of the same class (ES, IC, etc) or lesser but the seat reservations are void. Say you miss a 2pm Eurostar to Venice you can hop on any later Eurostar, Intercity, or slower train to Venice and just hope to find a seat. I *assume* (just guessing) that if you missed your train that perhaps you could go to the ticket window and purchase a seat reservation on the next train out??? <BR>Regards, Walter <BR> <BR>

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 05:28 PM
Liz

Leslie and Walter: <BR> <BR>Thanks so much for your detailed and informative responses! I am cutting and pasting them into my "Italy tips" folder. <BR> <BR>Liz

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:59 AM
elaine

Liz <BR>when I took the Malpensa bus to the Centrale station it took a solid 90 minutes in morning rush hour. I don't know if mid-day could be the same, better, or worse. I think the 2pm train would be safe. <BR>glad the CIT lead worked out. <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 06:15 AM
Paulo

In your shoes, Liz, I'd shoot for the 2:05pm IC355 (Canaletto) train out from Milano Centrale (arriving in Venice at 4:57pm). In case this this turns out not to work, no major problem. There are trains subsequentlty leaving at 3:05pm and 4:05pm. Of course, you won't have a reservation in these trains and if they're crowded you'll have to make the best of it (like, after taking care of your luggage and then eventually find a seat on the restaurant car . You ticket will be good for these trains. <BR> <BR>Now, besides the options of taking the shuttle bus into Milano Centrale, or the Malpensa Express train into Cadorna (Milano Nord) station and a taxi or subway thereafter, there's another interesting possibility. <BR> <BR>You may take a taxi from Malpensa to Gallarate train station. This is 12km (20 min with time to spare) out from Malpensa. At 1:21pm there's an IC train (#331-Val d'Osola) arriving in Milano Centrale at 1:50pm, with plenty of time to catch the 2:05 train out. <BR> <BR>If you manage to leave Malpensa, say, no later than 12:55pm, the Gallarate option is better than the bus shuttle because eventual traffic jams entering Milan have no bearing. Owing to the short travel time into Milan, you don't need to reserve or buy tickets in advance. You may get your tickets when getting to Gallarate station. <BR> <BR>Summing it up, if I were in your shoes I'd play it: <BR> <BR>a) if readdy to leave Malpensa before 12:30pm, I'd take the shuttle bus; <BR> <BR>b) if readdy to leave Malpensa between 12:30pm and 12:55pm I'd take a taxi to Gallarate; <BR> <BR>c) between 1 pm and 1:20pm I'd take a taxi from Malpensa to Centrale and hope it'll make it in time. <BR> <BR>The Malpensa Express leaves at 12:15pm and 12:45pm, taking 40 minutes to Stazione Nord. IMO Walter's Plan B would be in order only if considering the 12:15pm departure. At 12:45pm I'd prefer Gallarate as plan B. <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 08:59 AM
John

Liz: You might want to consider spending a night in Milan. Sounds rather hectic to jump off a transatlantic flight, get through custom, pick up your bags, make your way into Milan, take a 3 hour train ride to Venice and most likely a Vaporetto to your hotel's proximity and then cart your luggage to the hotel and check-in. <BR> <BR>Spending the afternoon and evening in Milan would be pleasant and allow for an early morning train to Venice arriving in Venice before lunch. <BR> <BR>Just a thought.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 10:33 AM
Rex

Or overnight in Verona. With the cost of lodging as high as it is in Venice, it is NOT the best use of money to stay IN Venice having arrived late and exhausted - - only to fall in bed during the best hours Venice has to offer: 8 to 11 pm! <BR> <BR>I too, vote for arriving in the morning - - the NEXT day. <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex <BR>

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 11:21 AM
elaine

Just to respectfully offer a different opinion from the last two <BR>I prefer to get the bulk of the traveling out of the way, all on the first day,while I'm already tired and cranky and not likely to get much "done" in my ultimate destination anyway. <BR>After my transatlantic flight, I prefer going on to the farthest point (Venice in this case), and starting out there rested and strong first thing the next day. <BR>You could always see Verona on the way back.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 04:52 PM
Liz

Thanks again, folks. You are incredibly helpful. <BR> <BR>I will be staying in Milan for a night on the way back, but doing so on the way in means changing all my other reservations (and it took some doing to get them, esp. in Venice), as well as cutting short by one day some other spot we wanted to visit. I think that despite the fatigue factor I do prefer to wake up in Venice rather than get on a train and arrive there mid-day the next day. <BR> <BR>But here's what is *really* frustrating me. I bought my tickets from Priceline and got a very good deal--over $300 less than the lowest price offered on Travelocity at the time--but they are apparently totally non-alterable. I requested Boston-Milan becuase I had it in my mind that Alitalia flies non-stop to Milan--it didn't even occur to me till much later, when I learned I would be flying on Sabena and stopping in Brussels, that I could have requested Boston-Venice! Then I got the brilliant idea to see how much it would cost to fly from Brussels to Venice. Well, it is only $138 round trip. Of course I'd only use one half the ticket, but it would be worth it to me in terms of saving time and travel hassle. So I called Sabena and asked them about it and they said, "Well, we don't care if you don't use the Brussels-Milan part of your ticket, but if you don't, Priceline will void out the rest (i.e. return part) of your itinerary." In other words, I'd have no flight home!! <BR> <BR>Grrrr! <BR> <BR>Liz