Search

Arriving at Rome FCO and departing from ZRH-luggage transfer advice

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2013, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arriving at Rome FCO and departing from ZRH-luggage transfer advice

Hello All,
This is my first post at Fodors, hope I have placed this topic under correct forum.

Me an my wife are scheduled to arrive at Rome FCO (30th May) and we will be spending a week in Italy and then travel to Swizterland and spend another week there and finally leave Zurich (on June 15th). Our Itinerary look like this -
Rome - Florence - Venice - (fly to) Basel - (train to) Interlaken - Montreux - Zermatt - Chur - Zurich.
All are train travel except from Venice to Basel. We currently have 3 check-in baggage (23Kg) and 2 Carry on (1 per person). Our actual travel is USA -> India -> Europe ->USA. Hence we have so many baggages!

Question:
(0) Is there any reliable, safe way to transfer few of our luggage to departing place Zurich from Rome and collect it a day before my departure (i.e. after two weeks) from Zurich?
(1) I have just two train journey in Italy, Do you think it is wise to carry luggage with us? Do trains have enough space to store big suitcases (23Kg)? Will I have to pay extra apart from ticket price to carry luggages?
(2) In Switzerland, I have quite a few train journey, so I really want to transfer few luggage to Zurich (Preferably from Italy itself, either from Rome or Venice), can you please throw-in some thoughts as to what we can do? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance.
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:49 PM

Hi kpradeep1,

There is a solution for your baggage, but it's only application for travel within Switzerland.

Once you arrive in Basel, send one/some of your cases to the Zürich airport using the SBB baggage service. Here's a link:

http://www.sbb.ch/en/station-service...s/baggage.html

It will take two days for it to arrive at the airport, and they'll hold it there for you until you pick it up. I think the storage cost will be 10 chf per day per piece after one week.

The other alternative would be to simply mail a box from Rome to the USA with your extra stuff in it.

While in Switzerland, you can use the Fast Baggage service, where you check the bag before 09.00 and pick it up at your destination after 18.00. Two things to check -- make sure your departure and destination stations are eligible for the Fast Baggage connection, and make sure your destination station is open after 18.00 (the baggage service in Montreux closes at 18.00 for instance, so you won't be able to get your bag).

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old May 15th, 2013, 08:50 PM

Sorry --

but it's only application for travel within Switzerland

should be

but it's only applicable for travel within Switzerland

s
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you swandav2000. I did not know that SBB baggage service will also store the baggage if we couldn't collect it on-time. Your insight into it really helped clear many things for me.

Thanks again!
Old May 19th, 2013, 05:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Trenitalia, the Italian train company has some luggage transport options. They have a porter type service for a few stations (Rome/Florence, but not Venice). That would help you get your luggage on board for Rome and Florence. Unloading it in Venice might be a bit of a problem.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD

They also have an option to transfer luggage through a service to anywhere you want. Perhaps you could have the extra bags transferred from Rome to your hotel in Venice if they would agree to the storage.

http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/inde...003f16f90aRCRD