Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arriving at CDG and immediately taking a flight to London on BMI. . . how much time should I allow myself between arrival and departure?

Search

Arriving at CDG and immediately taking a flight to London on BMI. . . how much time should I allow myself between arrival and departure?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2003, 08:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am arriving into CDG at 10:55am on a Northwest Airlines Flight (I've been told this will result in an arrival into Terminal 1.).

I want to make a reservation for a flight from CDG to London on BMI. There is a flight that leaves at 1:30pm. Would I have time to make this flight? The next flight (at 2:45) is €20 more expensive . . .

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jennie
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Jennie,

You should be OK. Let's say that you arrive on time and then get your baggage and go through customs, you could do that it 30 minutes or less, 45, if it's really busy.

Now it's 11:45 and you should be able to check in by 12:15. It's somewhat close, but it's certainly within reason.

I would suggest getting online and find a map and details on CDG so that you know where you going when you get there. That will save you some time, also.

This is all dependent on your Northwest flight arriving on time. If it doesn't, then you could have a problem. Would BMI be sensitive to your needs if you show up late since you are arriving in Paris on Northwest? That, we don't know.

Would I make those arrangements? Yes, I would.

You'll get a myriad of opinions here, but look at the times, what you have to do, look up some airport info and you can decide.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 12:25 PM

It's hard to see any reason why you should have to collect baggage, or go through Customs.

Your luggage should be checked through to London, and you should be able to collect your bmi boarding pass from the transfer desk airside. Some US check in staff sometimes find this concept difficult to grasp - especially if you have e-tickets. Just tell them in the language of your choice to do as they're told. It might help trying to get a hard copy of the bmi ticket, and asking United or any other Star partner for help.

The UK is not part of Schengen, so you go through immigration in the UK.You transfer at CDG as if you were transferring to any "real" foreign country.

CDG is always a pain. But unless the NW flight is 2 hrs late, you'll be OK (if a mite exhausted)
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 01:22 PM

Flanneruk is correct, you should not have to go through customs in Paris IF your baggage is checked through to London.

I don't trust two airlines in a foreign country to transfer my luggage only because I've been burned too often, especially on a short layover. Your time allotment should be adequate in this case, however.
Old Jun 26th, 2003, 01:45 PM

If you have to change terminals, I would say allow a long time. We came from Rome to CDG by Air France and left by Air France to US but from another terminal. Long long walk, then wait for shuttle bus, then another long walk, stopped at check points...I think we had about 1 3/4 hr between planes and just barely made the last boarding. This was before additional security delays.
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your helpful responses!

Jennie
Old Jun 30th, 2003, 09:14 AM

CDG is such a nightmare airport. Personally, I would not cut it so close. 2 hours, if you're changing terminals is probably needed, since your first flight could be a little late. It's such a confusing airport and the staff is of little helpor compassion. After my bad experiences there, I hope never to have to use CDG again.