Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arrive Milan - Have 4 Days - Should I go to Florence or Portofino?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 07:16 PM
Les

I arrive in Milan at 12:30 on a flight from San Francisco. I have only 4 days before I need to be in Genoa to get a 10 day med. cruise. I have 5 days after the cruise and have already planned Venice. For the first 4 days upon arrival should I stay first night in Milan? Should I go to Florence, Siena, or shold I stay closer to my port of departure and visit Portofino, Lavagna, Moneglia, Bonassola, Lenanto along the coast? Some say to stay in Milan for one day, others say to get out of Milan fast. What are your thoughts?

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 06:17 AM
tom

Les, <BR> <BR>No brainer here from my point of view....Florence and Sienna absolutely! <BR> <BR>Florence the home of the Renaissance, David, the Ufizzi, gelati, and Sienna at dusk is unbelievable. <BR> <BR>My question, why 5 days in Venice? <BR> <BR>Went there before and spent two full days and was satisfied. <BR> <BR>Good travels!

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 06:36 AM
Sally

Florence is great, also Lake Como would be easy to get to from Milan- only an hour by train.Tuscany is also very lovely and restful. We go to Venice every year and always stay at least five days; we never get tired of it.

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 06:52 AM
martha python

Why are people suggesting that you spend a night in Milan? There are a few things to do there, but there's so much more elsewhere that it seems like a waste. If you like Italy enough to return, you'll probably need to spend some time there before you catch your flight home. <BR>You may be tired when you get off the plane, but you can sleep on the train to your alternative destination.

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 08:11 AM
dAWN

While most people on this post will tell you there is nothing to see in Milan, I think the Duomo is spectacular and worth seeing. You can climb on top and see quite beautiful views, and the whole thing might take 2-3 hours. There is a Metro stop there so it is quite convenient if you are staying on another side of Milan or out in the burbs. 4 days is enough time for Florence (I don't think there is ever enough, but that is my opinion). I would head down to Florence on the train (very convenient) and save the Duomo for another time.

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 08:11 AM
dAWN

While most people on this post will tell you there is nothing to see in Milan, I think the Duomo is spectacular and worth seeing. You can climb on top and see quite beautiful views, and the whole thing might take 2-3 hours. There is a Metro stop there so it is quite convenient if you are staying on another side of Milan or out in the burbs. 4 days is enough time for Florence (I don't think there is ever enough, but that is my opinion). I would head down to Florence on the train (very convenient) and save the Duomo for another time.

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 09:01 AM
Paulo

Regarding this subject, I already externed my thoughts elsewhere. People taking cruises are normally packed heavier than "normal" (This might not be your case, though). I would therefore minimize transfers. Personally I would have no trouble staying all 4 days in Milan. But I've been to Florence, to the Italian Riviera, etc. I've friends and relatives in Milan and I always have a very good time there. My wife likes to go shopping (or maybe more appropriately shop window strolling) and Milan gathers what there's best in Italy with that respect. We love the Pinacoteca di Brera, like the Castello Sforzesco very much and we're never tired visiting the Duomo again and again and we love to stroll the Navigli district (lined with shops, cafés, pubs, restaurants and clubs) with it's romantic and bohemian atmosphere in the late afternoon/night. And that's only scratching the surface. Once we also visited the Certosa in Pavia on a day trip. <BR>If you haven't been to Florence yet, though, IMO you should grab the opportunity. You may reach Florence from Milano Centrale train station departing at 3:15pm or 4:40pm (arriving, respectively, at 6:27pm or 7:45pm). I don't know if the express train from Malpensa is in effect. If it isn't, you must take the bus shuttle to Gallarate and a train to Milano Centrale (leaving at 2:21pm and 3:25pm, with connections to above trains). <BR>From Florence to Genoa there are plenty of trains changing in Pisa or Viareggio, and the journey take approx. 3:30hs. <BR>Just about all cruises make a stop in Livorno and most tourists take a bus to visit Florence on a day trip. You may then opt to visit either Pisa/Lucca or the Cinque Terre instead. <BR>The bottom line is: "once you're going to take it easy on the cruiser, why add to it, also taking it easy in the Italian Riviera?". Cure your jet lag on the train to Florence and first night there ... and get into "serious" business! <BR> <BR>Paulo <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 16th, 1999, 09:36 AM
sabrina

Go to Firenze! No question