Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Arrive in Madrid--what time to book train BCN? and other random questions

Mar 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

In June, I arrive in Madrid at 7:15am and want to travel on to Barcelona by train--how much time should I leave for arrival/customs? Is the train at/near the airport? Since I will have been traveling for 17+ hours--should I book first class? After week in BCN will travel on to Malaga--fly? Train? At end of my study trip, need to get from Malaga to Madrid for 11am flight back to SFO--should I take the train back to MAD and spend the night near the airport? HELP! Thanks Fodorites!
Mar 16th, 2010, 09:38 PM

For the purposes of this response I will assume that BCN and MAD refer to the cities, not the airports.

You seem breathless about this and you haven't even arrived at the airport. Below is an old Fodor's topic on how to get from the MAD the airport to Atocha, the train station. I am not sure why you not just fly onto Barcelona form Barajas. The train ride between the two is not that interesting and you are at the airport.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-this-time.cfm

Then fly to Malaga from Barcelona, any other way is inconvenient.

Take a look at the AVE train from the south to Madrid and you can spend the night in Madrid. They do have cabs that will take you to the airport in the morning.
Mar 17th, 2010, 12:27 AM

Whatever you do, leave PLENTY of time between these transports, as you really do not know what time you will actually arrive. Any ticket that is missed because you arrived late will be forfeited.. unless it is a continuation flight on your original ticket.
Mar 17th, 2010, 03:28 AM

I echo Aduchamp's recommendations. There are gazillion flights between MAD and BCN everyday. I strongly recommend you book a connecting flight , preferably on the same ticket so they transfer your bags.

The night before your return flight to SFO stay in Madrid. Have you ever been in Madrid? If not, I recommend you stay at a hotel in the city rather than the airport and take a cab/ shuttle to the airport in the morning. The MAD airport is around 20 mins from the city center.
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:07 AM
yk

I agree that you should look into flying from Madrid to Barcelona; if you're arriving into Madrid by plane.

I also agree that you should stay in Madrid (or near Madrid airport) the night before your flight home.
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I am a little breathless about the arrangements so I appreciate all the assistance. I did check flights and they are so reasonable I will most likely book them. Any suggestions on a fairly reasonable, but nice, safe hotel in Madrid? Gracias.
Mar 17th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Hi, could you define "reasonable"?
Mar 17th, 2010, 11:51 AM

There's a direct high-speed train now between barcelona and Malaga, and an overnight 'trainhotel' with sleepers. centre to centre.

You can book both of these at www.renfe.es.
Mar 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

I went to on-line chat with UAL and was able to add the MAD-BCN leg to my itinerary for $160. Arrive MAD at 7:15am and have 9:25 connection. Will look at flights for my other connections to Malaga and back to Madrid. I'm a boomer, going on a study trip which ends on the 16th so will look into all the options for getting back to Madrid (from Malaga) for my July 17th 6am flight home. As for hotel in Madrid--I won't have much time in Madrid so basic needs (sleep and convenience in getting to the airport are very important). I may consider the overnight train. Thanks for all of your help!
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:44 PM

http://www.pensioncorbero.com/

I stayed here with my daughter (15 at the time) in 2005 and it was a great choice. In the Huertas section of Madrid, very quiet street, easy walking distance to the Prado, Puerto del Sol, Atocha Station. Small, very clean, and pleasant. the Hostal Dulcinea across the street is also good and owned by the same people. The photos on the site are representative. I'd stay there again anytime.
Mar 17th, 2010, 06:46 PM

P.S. I hope you can have at least a day or two to explore Madrid.

I forgot to mention that the pension is about a 5-10 minute walk, max, from the Anton Martin metro station. I think there is only one change to get to the airport. It's easy.
Mar 17th, 2010, 07:10 PM

There's a direct high-speed train now between barcelona and Malaga, and an overnight 'trainhotel' with sleepers. centre to centre.

You can book both of these at www.renfe.es.

Rhis train goes through Madrid and takes a total of six hours.
Mar 17th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Just to clarify a bit--I will be visiting friends in Barcelona for five days before I head to a three-week study program in Malaga (probably fly from BCN). At the end of my study program, I will be heading right home--program ends on the 16th and my flight out of Madrid leaves the next day at 6am hence the 'quick' stopover in Madrid and need for overnight stay convenient to airport.