Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

arrive in London Waterloo - where should I pick up rental car?

Jun 5th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

i'm coming into London from Paris on 7/14/05 via the eurostar into Waterloo. where is the most convenient location to arrange to pick up my rental car? we will be travelling to Devon.
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:35 AM

If you are not going to be staying in London, it might be better to pick your rental car up in Ashford, that's what we do when we are going to Dorset. Not all Eurostars stop there but a good number do and the rental agency is right in the station.
Jun 5th, 2005, 10:42 AM

I was just going to say the same thing but jody beat me to it and posted while I was checking scheds.

I would take the Eurostar to Ashford instead of Waterloo and the drive across country. it would be a bit farther but you wouldn't have to deal w/ south London traffic.

Another alternative might be to take the train to Exeter and pick up a car there. I know the main line trains run from Paddington so not sure about connections using Waterloo. The website was being "twitchy" on me so couldn't bring up schedules.

Jun 5th, 2005, 10:59 AM

The most convenient place would be somewhere on the South Bank, reasonably close to Waterloo station.

But you may be leery of driving through central London (and it's worse south of the Thames than north). So Ashford would indeed be the best place, since most car hire places there are practically on a dual carriageway, and getting away is as clse to painless as possible, even who people who normally drive on the wrong side of the road.

If Ashford's not possible, you still have the problem at Exeter of picking your car up in the middle of a town (though there are direct, albeit relatively slow, trains every couple of hours from Waterloo to Exter).

I'd suggest that the easiest thing to do, if Ashford isn't on, is to collect the car in London from one of the agencies along Edgware Rd, and get a cab to there from the station (about a mile and a half). Although the first 100 yards of driving might be tricky for a New World driver, after those 100 yards you're on the M40, one of the two westbound motorways out of London, and the navigation from there on is a piece of cake.
Jun 5th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all the tips, hopefully we can find something convenient that will not involve driving in London. I was in Paris 5 years ago, and if London driving is anything like that, I would not even want to attempt it!