Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Arrive Geneva or Zurich for Murren? Comments on itinerary appreciated.

Arrive Geneva or Zurich for Murren? Comments on itinerary appreciated.

Sep 15th, 2003, 11:41 AM
Original Poster

Arrive Geneva or Zurich for Murren? Comments on itinerary appreciated.

First timer planning trip to Switzerland and Italy nextAugust and September. We are planning to use FF miles and return out of Venice. Is either Geneva or Zurich better than the other for arriving because of scenic railway, convenience etc.? Also depending on which we fly into should we stop half way and stay over and then continue on to Murren?

5 days Murren- not including arrival day
3 days Vernazza Lake Como- " "
3 days Cinque Terre- " "
4 days Venice- " "

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Sep 15th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

I mean Varenna Lake Como.
Sep 15th, 2003, 03:35 PM

From both airports, Zurich and Geneva, you can reach Murren in about 4 hours.

There are hourly trains from Zurich airport to Interlaken Ost, where you catcht the connecting train to Lauterbrunnen. From here you go to Murren either by funicilar/train or by bus/cable car. Total journey time from Zurich airport to Murren is 3'50 hours. This is the fastest way to reach Murren.

An interesting option would be to take a train from Zurich Flughafen to Luzern/Lucerene (hourly, 1'15 hours), to see the city and to spend the night there. The next day, you take the Brunig railway to Interlaken Ost (hourly, 2 hours), from where you continue your journey as mentionend above. For details about this journey, visit http://www.bruenig.ch/html/index_e.asp

From Geneva airport you have to change trains in Bern, Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen, journey time is 4'10 hours. An interesting option would be to travel via Montreux - Gstaad - Zweisimmen (5-6 hours), perhaps with a stopover in Montreux or Gstaad. Check out http://www.mob.ch/GPS/accueil.htm?l=e

Of course Geneva itself would be worth to spend a day or two.
Sep 15th, 2003, 04:43 PM

Mathias has two good suggestions.

I would go for the Lucerne route.
Sep 16th, 2003, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your help- we will think about staying in lucerne that first night. Any comments on my itineary?
Sep 16th, 2003, 02:06 PM

Well, I think it's a fascinating combination to see the Berner Oberland, Lake Como, Cinque Terre and Venice in 20 days!

In Murren, visit the Schilthorn (cable car or hiking), the Jungfraujoch (cogwheel train) and perhaps the Trummelbachfaelle in the Lauterbrunnen valley. If you like hiking, there are plenty of options. Another option ist a steamer ride either on the Thunersee or on the Brienzersee.

Interesting websites to plan your stay in Murren include:
www.wengen-muerren.ch
www.jungfraubahn.ch
www.schilthorn.ch

For informations about timetables and tickets (tourist passes):
www.rail.ch

I've never been to Vernazza and Cinque Terre, but I'm sure it will be beautiful, especially Cinque Terre. In Venice I spent just one day a few years ago, so I'haven't seen to much - the city is surely worth to spend 3 or 4 days.

If you travel by train from Murren to Lake Como, there are 2 options. In any case, you have to change trains in Lauterbrunnen, Interlaken and Spiez. From Spiez there are direct trains to Milano (3 daily), others include a change in Brig or Domodossola. The second option, which I'd prefer, is to take from Domodossola the scenic narrow-gauge-train to Locarno (Centovalli), to spend the night there (or in close-by Ascona) and to head for Lake Como the next day.

In Venice, when arriving by train, be sure to get out at the "Venezia Santa Lucia" station (not "Venezia Mestre", unless your hotel is in this area of the city).

For detailed Infos about the Italian part of your journey I think its best to open e new thread with a more adequate title. If you have further questions about the Swiss part or train travelling in general you may contact me ([email protected]). Enjoy your trip!
Sep 20th, 2003, 06:13 AM
jmw

Hate to sound like 'me too, me too,' but I also think the itinerary sounds like a wonderful contrast of places! And four places to stay and settle in is so smart! Resist all temptations to split further. Please remember to come back with a trip report! J.

Sep 25th, 2003, 03:44 AM

Your itinerary sounds wonderful. We have made the train trip from Zurich after flying all night and found it relaxing and so scenic we thought we were dreaming. Luzern is a beautiful city, but frankly, I would go straight to Murren. Even with 5 days, you will not want to leave when the time comes! Be sure to walk down or take the gondola to Gimmelwald, a peaceful village with spectacular views and some nice hikes. We enjoyed the hike to Chilchbalm which starts there. Enjoy!
Sep 25th, 2003, 07:27 AM

Good morning, snorklefanatic
While inst the Berneroberland, consider
in addition to the Schlithorn places such as Grindelwald, Grindelwald Firstbahn, theMannlichenbahn, Kleine
Schedigg and the Jungfrau, mountain tops
are for fair weather only. Onve went to
the top of Piz Gloria in fog, didn't see
anything. Also the lakes of Thun and
Brienz and Ballenberg on a cloudy day...
Rest sounds excellant, have a good trip.
Richard of LaGrange Park, Il..
www.grindelwald.ch/
www.wengen.ch/
www.jungfrau.ch/
www.grindelwaldfirst.ch/
www.berneroberland.ch/
www.lauterbrunne.ch/
www.murren.ch/

Search this Thread